Thursday 3 May 2018

WFC Runners - Thursday 3rd May - #finishformatt

#FinishForMatt

No one wants to think about the possibility of you or a loved one going to a race and not returning.  Some of you may have heard that young chef Matt Campbell died during the London Marathon, just 3.7 miles short of the finish.  

Matt was a keen marathon runner. He had run the Manchester marathon two weeks before and had a PB of around 3 hours.  

Matt was running in memory of his late father and hoped to raise £2,500 for the Cumbria-based Brathay Trust.   Since he passed away there have been more than £340k of donations on his JustGiving page (link below) to raise funds for the Brathay Trust charity in memory of Matt. The aim is that people run 3.7 miles and pledge an amount to his charity.   

Mikaela suggested that we, as a Fit Club family, pledge our support by doing a group run for this great cause.  This Thursday’s session was therefore a 3.7 mile run for the charity supported by Matt. 

We met at the Garnier Road carpark near St Catherine's, parking was an issue and so we started slightly later than usual.  A whopping 20 fit clubbers turned out for the run, in what was a lovely social run with plenty of chat and laughter.  The plan was to run down the cycle path along to the viaduct, up the hill the other-side, down St Cross Road and along 5 bridges road.  we then headed back to the car park.  As we were a little short we made the distance up by heading down to the tennis club and back round palmer field back to the car park.

In total we clocked up 4 miles at a leisurely, conversational pace.

After a bit of a stretch a few of us decided to add a couple more miles on by running up the steps of St Catherine's to snap a few pictures for the latest Fit Club challenge, before heading back to the car park.  
  
Thank you to everyone for a fitting tribute to Matt and for such an enjoyable evening.  

Matt's Story in his words - Taken from JustGiving

As many of you know, I lost my father Martin 18 months ago suddenly. The past year & a half have been the toughest of my life but his spirit and energy live on in me.

Martin worked tirelessly for Brathay Trust from 2008-2016 documenting the now famous "Brathay 10 in 10". He always spoke to me so passionately about the event and the charity. I really came to appreciate what he was talking about in 2015 when I went along and helped him film one day. The amount of positivity and energy at the event was overwhelming. 'Ordinary people doing extraordinary things’. All for the cause to help Brathay with its mission to inspire children and young people to make positive changes that will last a lifetime. Put simply, Martin helped change many lives for the good.

He was the most inspirational man in my life and was the one who said - "Go on, why don't you give it a go? I know you can do it!" and entered me into my first marathon; Brathay 2016 along with my brother, Josh. It was maybe the proudest day of my life standing at the finish line having achieved something I never imagined possible with my Dad & my Brother by my side.

I've now run 2 Brathay Windermere Marathons, last year running 3:03:50 receiving the inaugural Martin Campbell award for fastest local runner. Brathay have this year invited me to run the London Marathon on their behalf. I will also be running the Asics Manchester marathon on April 8th, 2 weeks prior to London. Fundraising for the charity with the proceeds going towards their memorial appeal in my Fathers name. I am honoured to run on behalf of such an amazing charity. Although he won't be there in person, I know he will be there in spirit and I will be running for him.

The Brathay Trust

Here is a bit about the Brathay Trust, taken from their website:

At Brathay we know everyone has the capacity to do extraordinary things that can inspire and benefit others.  This drives our mission to improve the life chances of children, young people and families by inspiring them to engage positively in their communities.

We work throughout the UK to inspire people and organisations to achieve and deliver results from our network of locations across the North of England including our inspiring Lake District base.Our expert teams engage and encourage people of all ages and backgrounds to discover the Brathay effect, enthused by our belief in the transformational power of people working together.

Here is the link to the JustGiving page for your donations:

No comments:

Post a Comment