Monday 6 April 2020

WFC Runners - Elise runs a marathon, Lucy runs a half, zoom quiz, parkrun stats

News

Firstly I hope you and your families are all healthy and safe.  These are strange and frightening times and the restrictions currently in place are there to keep people safe and save lives.  Fortunately for us they do still allow exercise, albeit just once a day, and it is great to see so many of you taking advantage of this and equally great to see you all abiding by the rules laid out by the government.  Hopefully further restrictions are not needed.     

Whilst we have been on partial lockdown we have obviously seen the majority of people's target races be postponed or cancelled. For some this has meant a chance to take a bit of a break and recover from the niggling injuries they may have been carrying, for some training has continued as before, myself I have been taking this opportunity to explore new trails near to home and to look for new venues for our Thursday sessions and some have sought to set themselves personal challenges.    

One such challenge was Elise running her first ever marathon, which she did the day before her Dad's funeral.  The route was a lapped course around St Catherines which Elise completed in a stunning 4:35:01.  Congratulations Elise! Read all about it below...

Sunday the 5th was supposed to see a number of Fit Clubbers running the Bournemouth half and it was due to be Lucy G's first ever half marathon, in aid of the Samaritans (https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/lucy-gardner28).  Not wanting to let her sponsors down Lucy headed out with pacer Stefan and ran the 13.1 mile distance in a cracking time of 1:53:34. Congratulations Lucy!    

Friday the 3rd also saw Fit Clubbers gather together online for a pub quiz with Coach James.  39 of us got onto a Zoom video call for the 6 round, 30 question quiz.  It was great to see everyone and to catch up.  The quiz was a toughie, which saw Rachel, Simon and Felicity Mills tie on 28 points (out of 40) with Sharon "One R" Smith.  After a parkrun related tie breaker the Millses took the win! It was a great success and so we are doing it again on April 16th at 7:30pm.  Thank you to everyone who took part!  

In the meantime stay safe and I hope you stay fit and healthy.  

parkrun - pre-closure stats!

So as we can’t actually parkrun I thought I would bore you with some stats!! 

We have 82 registered Fit Club parkrunners.  

We have run a total of 4251 parkruns.  Glenna has run 403 of these with James having run 286, Jo H running 195 and Matt M running 190.  5 Fit Clubbers have run just once.  

We have run 2900 times at Winchester.  Glenna has run 232 times at Winchester, Jo H 179 and MC 155.  

The three most frequent tourists are James with 119 different venues, Matt with 63 and Glenna with 56.  

Look out for more stats next week!

Race Reports

Marathon by Elise Gilbert

At the beginning of 2020 I had the following running challenges which I had set myself, everyone knows I love a challenge

  • Reach 100 parkruns by the end of 2020 (depends on coronavirus now)
  • Enter a race every month of the year (will hopefully continue with this but virtually)
  • Continue with the daily running streak of a minimum of 1 mile ( Started this on the 25/11/19) (will continue even if we go to full lockdown)
  • Fly to Majorca by myself ( I am petrified of flying ) in April and complete the Magaluf Half (cancelled)

So with some of these now possibly being unachievable due to coronavirus I needed a new challenge. Due to losing my dad on the 16th Mar I was having a particularly low couple of days on Mon 30/03 and with the funeral approaching at the end of the week I needed something to focus on so me being me decided on Weds morning that to distract myself from my dad’s funeral I would complete a marathon distance on Thursday morning. Due to coronavirus I am working at home but had booked Thurs & Fri off. I had decided that I could complete the marathon distance by doing the St Catherine’s loop (not including the hill). On Weds I had run the loop to check the distance and it was 6.5k so I would have to run just under 7 loops to complete the distance which in my head thought it was doable.


I woke up at 05.30 on the Thursday so I could have my pre run crumpets and peanut butter, I woke up feeling quite nervous as I do on race days not that this was a race but I had put a lot of pressure on myself. I got ready at it was time to leave so off I went.


I happily ran the first loop and I was counting down from 42k, I chose to countdown as I didn’t want to keep looking at my Garmin. The first half of the distance seemed to go quite quickly and when I reached 21k I decided to set myself another challenge of not stopping till I reached 42k which at the time seemed like a good idea. It wasn’t until I got down to the last 13k that I was struggling and started to feel quite emotional and just wanted it to end. I had a little word with myself and as my dad wasn’t a quitter he wouldn’t expect me to give up after coming this far so I wiped my tears and got on with it. Although I struggled with the last 13k the last 3k were the hardest I have ever run!! When I eventually finished I stopped my watch and just shouted out ‘YES’ at the top of my voice as couldn’t quite believe I had managed to not only complete the distance but did it without stopping once, at this point I wanted to just lay down on the ground but luckily I was only round the corner from my house so walked back and collapsed in a heap on my living room floor and had a little cry of relief.


Although it doesn’t sound like it I am so glad I did this and I know my dad would have been proud as when he was in good health him and my mum would often come and support me on my races and since they have been in the home I have always taken my medals for them to see ☺ I have ordered a medal for this distance which is a monopoly board and will show my mum once it arrives once I am allowed to visit.

What pleased me even more was that afternoon and Fri I saw STRAVA posts from Simon Boyden & Sarah Geddes saying that they had been inspired by my run and had both run 18k – Amazing ☺

The worst bit about running this distance was I hadn’t planned the cake situation very well, I had visited Sainsbury’s in town the day before for some essentials, cake being one of them but somehow managed to get home and had no cake in my bags only hot cross buns!!!

I was also totally overwhelmed by all the messages and the support received by all of you with regards to my dad passing and my marathon distance so THANKYOU it meant a lot and got me through what has been a tough month

General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on through the Fit Club website: 
http://www.winchesterfitclub.co.uk/

Training Kit

The method of ordering training kit will be changing shortly with it all being available through the main website...watch this space!  

1 comment:

  1. Hello everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders,both for fund recoveries.
    For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact| Dejaellie@gmail.com| for a free masterclass strategy. She'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free...

    ReplyDelete