Monday 23 March 2020

WFC Runners - Restrictions, parkrun stats, Palace half

News

Firstly I hope you are all staying well and looking after yourselves and your families!  These are unsettling and scary times, so please stay safe!  As I mentioned before we are more than a running club, we are a community.  So please feel free to use the WhatsApp group to ask for help, ask for advice or just to chat.  We are all here for each other!!  

As I write this the instructions and restrictions have changed again.  We are now as close to a lockdown as it can be.  We are allowed to run still, once a day, and only alone or with a member of your family.  Please respect this, it will save lives.

I know for some, including myself, this will be really tough.  Look out for the online fitness sessions that are popping up or check out online yoga and pilates. Once these restrictions lift Fit Club will be there to support you back to full fitness.

Stay safe and I hope you stay fit and healthy.  

parkrun - pre-closure stats!

So as we can’t actually parkrun I thought I would bore you with some stats!! Here are our stats upto the shut down...

So far this year there have been 13 possible parkruns. 52 different Fit Clubbers have run 307 parkruns. That’s an average of 24 runs a week. Our highest week saw 32 runners at parkrun and our lowest was just 13. 

Only 2 Fit Clubbers have run all 13 weeks - Glenna and Jenny. 

Fit Clubbers have run at a whopping 50 different locations. We have run 129 times at Winchester, 32 at Southampton and 19 at Whiteley. We’ve also run in 3 different countries - UK, Ireland and Australia. 

Rachel and Simon Mills have run at the most different locations in 2020 having visited 10 different locations. 

Our average run time is 28:23 and our fastest is 20:04 run by Max at Teignmouth Promenade on the 29th Feb. 

Jenny and Alice have both finished 2nd lady twice and Allen is the highest finishing male with a 3rd place. 

Look out for more stats next week!

Race Reports

Palace Half by Sally Boyden

In this time of uncertainty it was absolutely fantastic to still be racing my first ever half marathon at the Hampton Court Half today. It was an early 5am start as I knew it would take a while to tape up my foot and be ready for Simon H to pick me up at 6am.



Simon drove myself and his son Max to Richmond, where we got a bus straight to Hampton Court. We had a coffee stop on the way and I had made a peanut butter roll to have with some ibuprofen!



We saw the start line as we walked in to the Palace. What a stunning location. A quick nip to the toilet for everyone and we made our way to the race village. We very soon realised that it was absolutely freezing. We were all very reluctant to strip any layers off. A banana and drink, sort the trainers and race number out and we were ready!



Max went off as he was in the 2nd wave and Simon and I had a bit of time before our wave (number 5). Shivering, we took off our layers and put our bags in the bag drop. A quick photo trying to shelter by a bush...


We ambled down to the start line and we had literally got there and they said to start running!! We had not got anything sorted!! No stretching, no last minute chat, no sorting out of headphones and no photo at the start line!!!




This photo is hilarious... I just about got my watch started and I’m trying to switch on my headphones!! My phone was in my back pocket so I didn’t want to faff about at the start, I wanted to take it all in. Anyway this was the course:


We started off down a relatively narrow sandy pathway next to the River Thames which was lovely apart from we were constantly weaving in and out of people and dodging puddles and potholes and this theme generally continued.


At mile 2.5 there was a sign for toilets. Simon decided that he was going to stop!!! I had no idea what to do...wait for Simon or just carry on!?!? I decided to just carry on and I heard Simon say, ‘See you at the finish’. My Simon comfort blanket was gone and I was on my own!!! At mile 3 I had my first gel. On our practice runs we have always stopped running to take on a gel, but I decided to go for it and see if I could run and have it... surprisingly it was ok!!

The majority of the next part of the run was actually on pavements by the road...they hadn’t closed the roads, so again it was quite difficult to navigate around people. Around mile 9.5 I was starting to feel my blister and by this time we were back on the original path around the outside of the palace. It had thinned out a bit but I was feeling alone...there wasn’t much to take my mind off stuff, so I decided to get my phone out and try and get my headphones going! Not ideal whilst running! I accidentally hit the wrong podcast, so had to go through the process again, then the second time I put it on to the right podcast, but on an episode I had already listened to! I gave up...it did take my mind off things though, just having something playing in the background.


This was at about mile 10.


The original toilet that Simon went in at the start was coming up again at mile 11 and I really needed a wee. I was lucky, as I was running up someone came out of one. I nipped in and thought that the whole portaloo was going to capsize as it was sooooo rickety!!! A very quick wee and I was off again. Only 2ish miles to go. I turned a corner and unexpectedly it was all off-road. We had a trail to finish which, again, was very difficult to navigate around people, puddles and an uneven surface. Those last 2 miles seemed very long.


The end in sight, there were now spectators for the very last bit which was lovely and then the finish arch was in the distance. A beam on my face I crossed the finish line.




So excited that I was to finish I completely forgot to stop my watch and then even more excited to see Henry VIII!!



I picked up my goody bag and went to change into dry clothes and wait for Simon.



So a reflection on this race as a novice...very narrow paths, roads not closed, and trail made it a slower (I think) half marathon. But what a place to start and finish and a picture with Henry made it memorable. Great medal bling and a good t-shirt.

We then all head back to Richmond where we stopped in Five Guys...



Stretching had to be done!! 



Not too shabby on a blistered foot (I think you’ve all had enough of the photos!!) and no one to push me on!!

Anyway...please keep safe everyone. I can’t wait to see you all on the other side. Thank you everyone that has helped me get where I am now. I keep having to tell myself that I’ve actually ran a half marathon! I just wouldn’t have believed this a year ago!!! This is a HUGE achievement for me!!!

If Simon and I can do anything to help anyone in difficulty over the next few months then shout! Xxx


General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on through the Fit Club website: 
http://www.winchesterfitclub.co.uk/

Training Kit

The method of ordering training kit will be changing shortly with it all being available through the main website...watch this space!  

No comments:

Post a Comment