Monday 3 February 2020

WFC Runners - Egham and Thorp Half, Thursday split, Romsey 5 reports, parkrun

News

This week the only racing was Sarah Geddes at the Eghan and Thorpe half marathon.  This race is described as 

"Passing over the M25 motorway and taking in the tranquility of the country lanes, this fast Half Marathon route offers a perfect chance for a chip timed, personal best with full road closures during the event."

Sarah was running on her own but managed to find a couple of other runners who helped pace her round.  Backing up the good form she has shown in recent weeks Sarah ran a huge 12 minute PB running an absolutely superb 2:06:04! Congratulations Sarah!

Given our rising numbers recently we have been looking at different ways of running the Thursday sessions to make the group more manageable and improve safety.  This week we warmed up together and moved to a central start point on Godwin close.  Here we split the group into two.  One group went with Run Leader Mike to do intervals on the flat part of the road and the other half went with Coach James for a hill session.  We did two reps of the exercises before swapping groups with the group who had done flat sprints swapping to do hills and vice versa.  We then did two more reps before swapping back.  Two more reps and then we swapped for the last set of reps. 

The feedback from the session was excellent and from a coaches perspective it worked really well and made the group size much more manageable.  

We also welcomed three new members with Neil S, Sarah G and Len B joining the group for the first time.  Welcome to Fit Club!

parkrun 1st February

This week we had 30 registered Fit Clubbers at a whopping 11 different parkrun venues.


We had Glenna and Dave at Whiteley, Trish at Heartlands, Mike at Basingstoke, Stefan and Lucy at Sandhurst Memorial, Elise and Cat M at Southampton, Cat W and Allen at Lowestoft, Kathy and Graham at Havant, Alice at Bournemouth, Anne at Brockenhurst, Rachel and Simon at Queen Elizabeth and 14 at Winchester. 

There were loads of achievements today as well. Dave G ran his fastest ever parkrun with a cracking 30:03 at Whiteley. Dawn also ran a new PB at Winchester of 37:17. Cat Westoby ran a course PB of 24:49 at Lowestoft and Elise also ran a course PB of 30:09 at Southampton. 

Special congratulations to Joy for running her 1st ever parkrun today! 

Thank you to everyone who ran and volunteered.

Here is a link to the consolidated club report: http://www.parkrun.com/results/consolidatedclub/?clubNum=26888&eventdate=2020-02-01

If you have yet to register as Fit Club then all you have to do is go to your parkrun profile (link in the results email) and select Winchester Fit Club RC as your club. You will then appear on our results! 

parkrun January Stats

In January there were 6 possible parkruns. The total number of runs by Fit Clubbers was 156 (compared to 119 in Jan 2019) by 46 different runners at 24 different venues. We averaged 26 runs a week and had a highest attendance of 32 on the 4th Jan. 

Our average time was 28:17 with a fastest time of 20:46 by Mike H. 

8 runners have run all 6 parkruns and Glenna has run at 5 different venues so far this year, making her our top tourist.

Race Reports

Romsey 5 by Elise Gilbert

I entered this race in 2019 and really enjoyed it so decided to enter again. The night before a 10k race I can’t sleep as I put too much pressure on myself to get a PB, however because this didn’t have 10k in the race title I managed to get a good night’s sleep and woke up on the Sunday morning all refreshed. 

Myself and Pete (Work colleague) walked past the start where we bumped into Trish, Simon & Sarah R. Excitable Coach James then arrived with his support crew Sarah, Olivia, Elsie and Bertie! Everyone was in good spirits. We made our way to the start and then bumped into PD, as we approached the start Pete was close to the start so we joined him. Being so close to the start was a bad move as we were close to the very loud speakers and had to hang around a bit before the start. They gave a quick briefing and we were off, in hindsight I wish I had started nearer the back as I went off way too fast. 

We completed 2 laps around the Broadlands Estate and the 3rd lap being longer as we had to go out and run around a Bentley and then back down the same stretch, as much as the out & back seemed never-ending it was nice to see fellow fit clubbers on the way. James’s support crew were also cheering us on round every lap and taking photos which also gave me a much needed boost. Before the race I hadn’t worked out what I needed to do in order to get a PB which again was a mistake as I kept looking at my Garmin trying to work it out which was added stress as maths isn’t my strongpoint! 

Near the end of the 3rd lap I was digging deep and could hear James’s voice in my head saying “pocket to socket” which gave me the drive I needed up to the finish line. On approaching the finish I could hear my name being cheered by fellow fit clubbers which is always my favourite part of any run. Once I passed the finish I looked at my watch which said 38.50 (chip time 38.46) which really pleased me as my previous time was 42.40. Last thing to do was collect my T-shirt & Medal.

Romsey 5 by James White

I haven't done a 5 mile race since the Littledown 5 in 2014 and for me it is one of my favourite distances.  Short enough that you can go hard from the start but long enough to mean you are hanging on at the end.  So I was looking forward to the Romsey 5.  Billed as a multi-lap face and flat race I saw it as a good opportunity to test my pace early in the season.

Heading down the weather looked horrible, but as soon as we arrived in Romsey it soon cleared up and we had near perfect conditions!  We met up with Philippa D in the car park and headed over to Broadlands where we soon met up with Simon, Sarah, Trish and Elise.  After a short chat we headed down to the start area.  Not wanting to get caught up in any congestion I got fairly close to the start with Elise and PD this meant that I set off waaaaay too fast.  

The route is two small laps and one longer lap with an out and back section.  Most of each lap was on beautifully smooth concrete paths with part of it on uneven broken up, but still very runnable, paths.  I was aiming for sub 35 minutes so I knew that each mile should be just under 7 minutes, so I was a little surprised when I went through the first mile in 6:39 and I knew that the rest of the run was going to be hard work!  

Just after the end of the first lap I saw Olivia, Elsie, Bertie and Sarah cheering me through and that gave me a boost.  The second lap also seemed to fly by and I knew that I was well under target time but I was starting to feel the early pace and it was getting harder and harder to maintain!  

The third lap followed the route of the first two but included a long out and back section where you had a round a Bentley at the turn point.  I like an out-and-back because you get to see and high-five your wonderful team mates!  At the end of the out and back we rejoined the uneven path and for the third time we went under the start banner.  It was then an out and out sprint to the finish for teh final few hundred metres.  I could hear my supporters cheering me home and I knew I had smashed my target by the time I rounded the corner into the finish.  

I picked up my medal and t-shirt and went to cheer the rest of the team in from by the finish line.  There were some awesome performances on the day and I was proud to be there to cheer the team in and congratulate them as they crossed the line.  We grabbed the team pics and headed back "up the hill" to Winchester!  

I would highly recommend this race.  It's a great tune-up race in prep for the Winchester 10km, it is well organised and you get a good medal and t-shirt.

Challenge - Week 3

With general winter illnesses hitting we have seen more people using their wildcards and more people missing their targets. However we still have 37 runners on full marks and 8 have now used their wild cards! 

We now move into the second block of the challenge and you have all predicted the number of runs each week and the length of the longest run.  The scoring for the number of runs is the same as block 1 (points = %age of runs completed up to a max of 100).  The points for the long run element of the challenge are based on the %age of distance covered.  The points are therefore as follows per week:

25 points for 100% (or more)
20 points for 80-99.99% 
15 points for 60-79.99
10 points for 50-59.99
0 points for less than 50%

Therefore if you predict 10 miles and run 10 miles you get 25 points.  If you run 8.5 miles you would get 20 points and if you ran less than 5 miles you would get nothing!  Best of luck everyone!!  

Here are the points so far!


Alf Rodway
400
Alfie Rodway
300
Ali Longman
400
Alice Dewsnap
400
Allen Westoby
400
Andy Mant
400
Anne Arnold
400
Ben Howett
300
Catherine Mulrine
300
Catherine Westoby
400
Charles Mason
400
Colin Burville
400
Debs Cotsgrave
400
Elise Gilbert
400
Fran Hansford
400
Glenna Greenslade
400
Graeme Read
400
Ian Cotsgrave
400
Issy Mansfield
400
James Hadden
400
James White
400
Jenny Leishman
400
Jo Hindle
400
Karen Parker
400
Kathy Read
400
Lucy Gardner
400
Lucy Rhodes
400
Lynn McKeague
400
Marie-Clare Menez
367
Matt Mandelbaum
400
Philippa Drew
400
Philippa Gammie
250
Rachel Mills
400
Sally Boyden
400
Sarah Geddes
350
Sarah Lewis
400
Sarah Robinson
400
Sharon Smith
400
Sheelagh Evans
267
Shelley Talbot
400
Simon Boyden
400
Simon Holman
100
Simon Mills
400
Simon Robinson
400
Stefan Kemp
400
Trish Heaton
400
Vanessa Hodgetts
400

Please shout if there are any issues!

General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

Dates for your diary:

6th Feb - Abbey Gardens followed by drinks at Alfies
13th Feb - South Winchester P&R
20th Feb - Dean Lane Park
27th Feb - Abbey Gardens

Sally's Marathon Journey

You can follow Sally B's Marathon journey in her blog:  http://sallymarathon.home.blog

Sally is also fundraising for Winchester Hospice.  Her JustGiving page can be found here:  https://www.justgiving.com/Sally-Boyden

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on through the Fit Club website: 
http://www.winchesterfitclub.co.uk/

Race Calendar

Training Kit

The method of ordering training kit will be changing shortly with it all being available through the main website...watch this space!  

No comments:

Post a Comment