Monday 23 April 2018

WFC Runners - parkrun

News
As I sit here on Sunday evening writing this blog I cant help but think about what an inspiring day it has been.  As a runner there is no race that generates the same emotion as the London marathon.  As a kid I used to sit and watch it every year on TV, in awe of the amazing performances from these super human runners.  Last year I had the privilege of running it for the first time and it was the highlight of my running "career".  This year I was sat nervously watching the TV and following friends and colleagues on the tracker and top of my list was Sharon and Simon.  

Firstly, congratulations to the three marathon finishers today.  We had Charlotte at Southampton and Simon H and Sharon at London.  On a scorching hot day they all performed superbly and, most importantly, finished!   

Let's start in Southampton with the wonderful Charlotte.  With a slightly earlier start time, Charlotte headed off round the mean streets of Southampton at 9am on Sunday morning.  Southampton is a two lap course and with the heat it must've been a real mental challenge to head out on the second lap, well done Charlotte.  Also at Southampton we had Philippa G running the 10km.  Also, in hot conditions "Gammie" took 2 minutes off of her PB.  Fantastic running Philippa!! 

Sharon and Simon were both at London and with the 10pm start time and inevitable 20-30 minute wait to cross the start line it meant they were out in the heat of the day for the entirety of their race. Indeed it was the hottest ever London Marathon with the professionals also struggling in the heat.  They were both running their first marathons and ran fantastically well to clock wonderful debut times.  

I'm hoping to have more detailed write-ups from our amazing marathoners for a future blog, so watch this space for all the gory details!  

It's also worth mentioning that, due to injury, Lynn was volunteering at both parkrun on Saturday and at the Southampton Marathon on the Sunday.  Thank you Lynn!!  

Have the exploits of Mik, Sharon, Charlotte and Simon inspired you?  The ballot for the London Marathon opens on the 29th April and closes at 5pm on the 4th May.  Visit: https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/en-gb/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/ for more info.

This week's Thursday session saw us venture up St Giles Hill for a mix sprint session.  Read all about it here: http://wfcrunners.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/wfc-runners-training-session-thursday_19.html.  Next week's session will start at 7pm at Abbey Gardens.  Hope to see you there!  

Now as it is Winchester parkrun's 5th anniversary this weekend I thought I would write a bit about my parkrun experience and some of my favourite parkruns I've visited.  

Anyone who follows me on Facebook will be used to seeing my regular Saturday morning posts about parkrun.  So I thought I would write a bit about it!

For those of you who are unaware parkrun is a weekly (every Saturday 9am) timed 5km run.  It is free to register and free to run.  It started 13 years ago with just 13 people in Bushy Park.  Now over 4 million people are registered, 250,000 people participate weekly (worldwide, 130,00 in the UK) and it is in over 1,000 locations around the globe and in 17 countries.  

Once you have registered (https://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/) you get a barcode.  You take this along every week and it is scanned when you finished, along with a position token, to give you your position and time.  This is uploaded to the parkrun website and you get a text to tell you your time and position.  Simple!

At the time of writing I have run 186 parkruns at 87 different venues and in two countries.  I have a fastest time of 21:01 and a slowest time of just under an hour. So what keeps me coming back week after week?  There are a few main reasons.

Firstly, the parkrun community.  Young, old, fast, not so fast, big, small, male, female, parkrun is open to everyone.  It’s often a stepping stone into running with many people using parkrun as their graduation run on the Couch to 5km programme.  It’s seen as a safe environment for novice runners; a supportive environment with little pressure on those running. The volunteers; out there rain or shine, cheering every runner on.  The friendly early morning chats pre-race and the post race banter of people out enjoying their hobby.  It is the same at every parkrun I have been to and it is a pleasure to be part of.

Secondly, it's a family event.  I regularly run with Olivia and push Elsie round in the running buggy. Sarah has also run a few (even though she isn’t the biggest fan of running!).  When we run together we are normally in a group at the back with other families out running.  The kids love it and for me, as a parent, having Olivia and Elsie outside, active and enjoying herself is fantastic.  

Thirdly, I like the fact that I am only ever running against myself.  As I am never going to finish first it is only ever me vs. the clock.  I can therefore use the weekly trot out at parkrun as a good barometer of how fit I am and, when fully fit, as a good opportunity to bring my 5km time down.  When I’m not feeling it, I can just use it as a social run with friends. 

Fourthly, variation.  We are very lucky to live in a location where there are a number of parkruns close-by.  This is how I got into parkrun tourism and now it’s fair to say I’m a little addicted! With the only cost being my petrol money it makes it a cheap and enjoyable way of seeing different parts of the country.  Each parkrun is different; I have visited normal parks, woodland parks, National trust properties and coastal paths.  They are run on different surfaces, they range from 1 lap to 4.  In short no two parkruns are the same. As I have visited a number around the country (and abroad) I thought I’d give you my top 10 runs (in no particular order):

Winchester
As Dorothy once said…”There’s no place like home”.  Winchester was where I started my parkrun journey and is my home run. I have made some many good friends there and really think of it as my running community.  I love that so many Fit Clubbers now run there…it just adds to the supportive atmosphere of the run.  

Lanhydrock
A tough, hilly parkrun at a national trust property in Cornwall. It basically heads downhill for the first half and uphill for the second.  It is through some stunning countryside and is a real challenge. 



Parke
Parke is another National Trust property, this time in Devon, just outside Exeter.  This has a special place in my heart.  I ran it with my family (Sarah, Elsie and Olivia as well as my brother, sister, nephews and nieces) the day after my dad’s funeral.  The course has an evil hill within the first km and then undulates though some beautiful woodland and farmland.  It is another tough course, but lovely. 

Killerton
As with the two above, Killerton is a National Trust property.  Also with the other two, it is a tough, off road 5km through some beautiful countryside and through a deer park.  This one is notable for the mud!  It was so difficult to run, which just made it all the more fun! 

Eden Project
This one makes the top 10 for the surreal setting and the tricky nature of the course.  Set at the Eden Project in Cornwall it starts up at the car park and takes you down a service road and into the quarry.  There is a strange sight as you round the first bend and see the domes and gardens spread out in front of you. Once you are in the man site the course twists and turns around the gardens and has a wicked zig zag climb that you do on each of the 3 laps.  The benefit of this parkrun is that you and your supporters get free entry into the park for the day!  Bonus!

Treviso, Italy
This was my first foreign parkrun.  Olivia and I ran the two lap course and loved every second.  The course is though some woodland on the outskirts of the town of Treviso in NW Italy. What makes this special though is the tranquility.  With only 30-odd runners and no roads anywhere close to the course it is so peaceful in the woods. 

Hogmoor Inclosure
This is a relatively new addition to the parkrun family and is set at a former tank training ground near Alton in Hampshire.  It is a two-lap course that has everything…hills, muddy sections, huuuuge puddles, fast downhill sections, uneven trails and even a sandy section!   

Alice Holt
This is a neighbor of Hogmoor and is very similar in terms of terrain with a bit of everything on the way round.  The ground is more runnable but the hills are much bigger and really make Alice Holt the challenge that it is.  As with a lot of the others on this list the surroundings are beautiful and the atmosphere of the parkrun is something special.  It also has a cracking café that serves great breakfasts!

Upton House
This is another parkrun that has personal significance for me.  I grew up in Upton and spent most of my childhood playing in Upton Park so was overjoyed when they decided to start a parkrun there.  Upton Park is set on the outskirts of Poole and on the shoreline of Poole Harbour.  The course is a two lapper, with the second lap having an extra loop that includes a large hill!   The trails are all really good, hard packed gravel and great for running on.  The course is part woodland, part parkland and part shoreland trail. 

Bushy Park
The home of parkrun.  I would encourage everyone to make their parkrun pilgrimage at least once.  It is a cracking one lapper through the Royal Park at Bushy in SW London.  There are usually between 1000 and 1200 runners so you get the feel of a parkrun with the crowds of a big race.  The park is flat and the course is one lap so it is quick.  The highlight has to be the deer that roam freely around the park, they are a spectacular sight. 

Have you done any other parkruns that you might want to write about?  If so, please feel free to write a review for the blog!

Fit Club Kit

Winchester Fit Club offers a range of training kit at reasonable prices.  They are high quality and can be personalised.  By using the kit you will also be helping us advertise Winchester Fit Club at local events.  

Mike and Laura place orders at the end of every month and lead time is around 10-14 days.  

If you are interested please speak to Mike or Laura, or email me at WFCrunners@gmail.com and I will pass it on!  

Dates for your diary

Sat 28th April, 9am, North Walls Rec - Winchester parkrun 5th anniversary - free

Mon 7th May, 7pm, Bar End running track - Monday Madness track session - £4

Race Calendar

Here is another great local event to support...

The Blackwood Fun Run is taking place in Micheldever on Sunday the 29th April Registration starts from 9am.

In aid of: Micheldever & Stratton Pre-School

Location: Blackwood Forest, Larkwhistle Farm Road, Micheldever, SO21 3BGStart times: 10km - 10am and 5km - 10.15amChildren’s run - from 11.15am

Briefing 10mins before each race

Hot food, coffee & cake available and a medal for all finishers

Entry £7.50 for adults

Registration via claudia_heyland@hotmail.com(preferred) or on the day 9.00-9.45am


Here is an updated race calendar.  If you have any others that you wish to add, please let me know!

Fleet Half – April 29th
Harewood Forest 10km and 5km – 7th May (Bank Holiday Monday)

Gauntlet Games 5km and 10km - 12th May
https://www.naomihouse.org.uk/events/322-gauntlet-games-2018

Alton 10 mile – 13th May

Liverpool Rock and Roll marathon, half marathon, 5km and 1 mile – 19th and 20th May

Hackney Half – 20th May – SOLD OUT

Vitality 10000 – 28th May

Race for Life – Winchester – 3rd June

Eastleigh 10km – 17th June

Arlesford 10km – 17th June

Baccus Marathon and Half – 9th September

The Lake Run, Andover 10km and 5km – 16th Septembver

Winchester Half Marathon – 23rd September

Clarendon Marathon, Half and relay – 7th October

Cardiff Half – 7th October

Great South Run - 21st October

As ever, if you have any submissions for the next blog then please send them through to WFCrunners@gmail.com

Happy Running!  

Coach James

***************
Kit pictures and prices













No comments:

Post a Comment