Monday 20 January 2020

WFC Runners - parkrun touring, Stubbington and Maverick write-ups, challenge week 2

News


No races this weekend just gone, so instead we look forward to the Romsey 5 next Sunday where we have a number of Fit Clubbers attending.  This 5 mile race is set at Broadlands estate and is a multi-lap route.  Look out for run reports in a couple of weeks!

This week also saw Coach James adding more technical coaching elements into the Thursday session at Courtaney Rd.  Despite rain of biblical proportions we had 27 runners braving the elements for some sprint coaching.  The session was focussed on three key principles; Standing tall, high knees and arms driving backwards.  Over the next weeks and months the coaches will be introducing more of these key principles to help the runners focus on technique with a view to running more efficiently. 

parkrun 18th January

With Winchester parkrun cancelled this week the Fit Club runners went on tour! This week we had 23 registered Fit Clubbers at 9 different parkrun venues.

We had Trish, MC and Fran at Basingstoke, Jenny, Katie and Steve at Southampton, Glenna, Anne and Elise at Whiteley, James at Nonsuch, Alf and Alfie at Netley Abbey, Jo at Yeovil Montacute, Sheelagh at Crosby, Matt at Littlehampton Prom and Mike, Anna, Alice, Andy, Kathy, Graeme, Lucy and Stefan all at Rushmoor!


There were plenty of achievements today as well! Sheelagh ran a course PB of 29:51 at Crosby. Jenny ran a lifetime PB of 21:51 and Katie ran a course PB of 24:28, both at Southampton. Alfie also bagged a course PB of 26:47 at Netley Abbey! Congratulations to you all.

Thank you to everyone who ran and volunteered.

Here is a link to the consolidated club report: https://www.parkrun.com/results/consolidatedclub/?clubNum=26888&eventdate=2020-01-18

If you have yet to register as Fit Club then all you have to do is go to your parkrun profile (link in the results email) and select Winchester Fit Club RC as your club. You will then appear on our results!

Race Reports

Maverick Addidas Terrex New Forest by Sarah Geddes

For my first running event of 2020 I chose the Maverick Adidas Terrex Original New Forest.  Starting at Holmsley campsite, Burley Just a 40 minute drive from Winchester. I love this part of Hampshire, as soon as you turn off the A31 into the forest the views are beautiful.

There was a choice of three distances 6K, 17K and 24K and I did the middle route.

A really well organised event with a very friendly atmosphere. I don’t think I have ever seen so many dogs running it was a bit like being at Crufts at the beginning. There were over 600 runners, apparently making it their biggest event yet.

The start of the race was a bit hectic with so many dogs sliding around in the mud but we then hit more open space. I had been avoiding puddles initially but soon got to a stream that you had to wade through up to the knees, so you just had to go for it. It was a really varied route with beautiful fir trees and ferns to open plains. The trails were gravelly and very wet and muddy after 3 months of rain. I found it challenging but really rewarding and will definitely do it again next year.

It was good to see fellow fit clubber Al Jury at the end for a celebratory beer. A great way to start the New Year.

Stubbington 10km by Alex Humber 


Stubbington 10k – first race of the year! Normal arrival protocols were applied; toilet facilities were immediately scrutinised and to many the portaloo option was promptly rejected. I overheard secretive talks determining the location of that prized internal toilet with a short queue; I passed on this intel to my eager comrades. I settled for some intimate interactions in the men’s porta-urinal.

Stubbington was setting the bar high for the year’s races with a quite impressive selection of cakes available at registration. Yes, you read this correctly, at registration. I wonder how much of our influence was at work here?

Whilst we marvelled at our magnificent new WFCRC tops, discussions over breakfast choices revealed some approaches were more considered than others. Most were fairly conservative; I was at that end of the spectrum having the hipster sensation that is overnight oats and dried fruits. Others with me at that end had porridge, fruit, toast, etc. But to my knowledge at least one WFCRC runner started the race having eaten only a chocolate brownie that morning (#highfive).

From the start line the route filtered out of suburbia along some pleasant country lanes between fields and woodland, then down to Titchfield Nature Reserve and along a section of Hill Head beach. I got an uninvited yet refreshing dousing of the Solent’s finest seawater that crash over the sea wall.
Yet much more than the route or anything else, this race was notable for its support. The crowd was highly encouraging, although clear favouritism for local clubs. One vocal chap chanted "Go Stubbies, go Gosport, go Fareham, go… unaffiliated runner" as I jogged past; as yet no mention of Winchester. Something to work on for next year! I pondered the psychology behind one person’s ‘supportive’ approach who proclaimed "I can only apologise for the weather, the sunshine, the views", as some sort of inverse sarcasm.
The real support that really mattered was from fellow WFRC runners. Not being a front running finisher I had the genuine pleasure of a huge hoard of our team in full spirit and voice on the approach to the finish. This massive boost, which was brilliantly caught on camera, remains the highlight for me and encouraged a hearty sprint to the finish.
Stubbington 10km by Sharon Smith
I thought about giving away my Stubbington place many, many times in the weeks running up to it. I had entered after enjoying last year’s run and optimistic for another PB.  Unfortunately my fitness nose-dived during the autumn doing very little except C25k. I thought advent running would sort me out but had to give that up when a nasty chest infection hit and I could barely breathe let alone run.

Eventually I decided that running a slow 10k was probably still better than not running at all and I would just see how I got on. Plus it was a morning away from kids with a car full of snacks!

When we got to race HQ in the morning it was busy but well organised and we picked up our numbers swiftly. It was great seeing so many fit clubbers around in their new kit. After the obligatory queue for the loo we managed an almost complete team shot before heading for the start line. It was a chilly morning but dry and bright, perfect running conditions.
The race started well enough, I probably started off too fast but was feeling good so went with it. There's a pretty steep hill around 2.5km in and although I managed it ok, I was struggling to try and increase my pace on the following downhills.


I really like the Stubbington route, it takes you out of the town through some country roads and then along by the seafront. There's a good number of marshals who are all really supportive and it has a friendly feel about it. The hill leading up away from the seafront nearly killed me but a lady running nearby was reliably informing everyone it was the last one. We'd passed the 7km marker then so the end was nearly in sight. Coming up to the finish I looked out for the rest of the club who I assumed would be in a similar place to last year. It was really great to see everyone and it definitely spurred me on for the final sprint to the finish line.

It was a so-so race for me, I found it hard and finished 2 minutes slower than last year but managed to sneak in under the hour which was my target. What really made it was seeing everyone together in their new kit and being able to enjoy their success. Maybe next year...

Stubbington 10km by Ali Longman

The Stubbington 10km was the first proper run event I have taken part in around four years. Without my usual triathlon swim and cycle to hide behind and a months worth of indulgence I definitely approached the race with some trepidation and at different times considered pulling out in the run up to it. But the knowledge that so many fitclubbers would be joining me definitely made me decide to try and enjoy it and use it as a benchmark to see where I am at the start of the year.

Alex and Eve picked me up bright and early in the morning and despite the recent terrible weather it was a fresh and sunny day! Arriving at the sports hall to collect race numbers was fairly hectic and I suddenly realised what a big event this was. I felt although it was busy the organisers did a good job of keeping everything moving and we really didn’t have to wait too long for anything. Before I knew it we all walking en mass to the start line.


My race plan was to take it out really steady as I hadn’t done much distance training recently and then see how I felt later. With my new aftershocks headphones I started the race determined to enjoy the experience of running in a crowd on such a bright morning. I quickly realised that my pace was much faster than I was expecting it to be but I felt really good so cruised on. There were a few more hills than I had been led to believe along the course but they didn’t seem to bother me too much and the kilometres gradually ticked by. 

Around the 7km mark I started to feel some tiredness creep in and I could feel my cheeks glowing bright red from the effort I had been putting in, but it was also around this point that we got to the sea front and I decided to focus on the great views around me instead. By kilometre 8 I decided to allow myself to slow down for this kilometre and pick it back up for the last one, but despite dropping the effort slightly I was still running at the pace I had initially planned to for the whole race! The last kilometres felt tough as my lack of longer distance training showed and I also didn’t really feel I could up the pace again and so instead I waited for the final 400m to push to finish line. 

As I came round the final corner to the finish chute I saw the crowd of Winchester Fitclub runners all gathered cheering me onto the end. Crossing the line I struggled for deep breaths after my fast finish and then glanced down at my watch to see I had managed to go under 54 minutes, much faster than I had anticipated even in my ‘best case’ scenario.

I joined everyone else to cheer the remaining runners in and it was great to hear from so many other runners who had had good runs and achieved great times. I am so pleased I did take part in the event in the end as not only was it a really fun morning, but it also gave me a big boost for what I want to achieve with my running this year.

Challenge - Week 2

With terrible weather the challenge has started to take its toll with more wildcards being played and a few targets having been missed.  Despite all that a large proportion have still maintained their 100% start, however there is a long way to go

Weeks 1-4 are all about getting into good habits with targets set for the number of runs an individual will do each week. Points are awarded based on the percentage of runs you complete towards that target, with a maximum of 100 points per week. As expected the majority of runners hit their targets for the first week, with 2 runners playing their wild cards.

Full tables will be published from week 3.  

General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

Dates for your diary:

23rd Jan - Abbey Gardens
30th Jan - Dean Lane Park
6th Feb - Abbey Gardens
13th Feb - South Winchester P&R
20th Feb - Dean Lane Park
27th Feb - Abbey Gardens

Sally's Marathon Journey

You can follow Sally B's Marathon journey in her blog:  http://sallymarathon.home.blog

Sally is also fundraising for Winchester Hospice.  Her JustGiving page can be found here:  https://www.justgiving.com/Sally-Boyden

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on through the Fit Club website: 
http://www.winchesterfitclub.co.uk/

Race Calendar

Training Kit

The method of ordering training kit will be changing shortly with it all being available through the main website...watch this space!  

No comments:

Post a Comment