Monday 30 December 2019

WFC Runners - Vanessa at Portsmouth, parkrun, 2019 review

News

I hope everyone had a fantastic Christmas and are looking forward to the New Year's celebrations!  

On the Sunday before Christmas Vanessa ran her first marathon at the Portsmouth Coastal race.  With the conditions having been appalling in the lead up to the race but conditions on race day were pretty good for running.  The ground however had been left wet and boggy in places.  This did not deter Vanessa from finishing in 4:31:15 (time taken from Strava) Vanessa said the following:  "Mission accomplished! First half was crazily quick but the second half was into a headwind and I just lost my stride.  Not the time I was hoping for but I'm pleased I did it.  Feeling proud of myself.".  Congratulations Vanessa! 

The 12 week challenge starts on the 6th of Jan.  Predictions for the first 4 week block need to be in shortly.  Details are below. 

parkrun 25th December 

For the extra Christmas Day parkrun we had 11 registered Fit Clubbers at 6 different parkrun venues. With Winchester cancelled it was great to see so many of you out touring all around the country!!

We had Stefan and Lucy at Kesgrave, Matt, Kathy, Graeme and Emma at Whiteley, Jenny at Eastleigh, Tom at Exeter, Glenna and Dave at Pomprey Hill and Trish at Cleethorpes. 

Despite the mud, Jenny ran a course PB at Eastleigh of 24:43 and remains on track for a full house of parkruns in 2019. There was also a cracking course PB for Kathy at Whiteley running 27:55. What a Christmas present!!

Special mention to the 7 Fit Clubbers who still met and ran in Winchester in the annual Pork Run, organised by Anne. I suspect lured out with the promise of pigs in blankets and prosecco post run.

One last reminder...there is no parkrun in Winchester on Saturday 28th due to the ground conditions. Normal service will hopefully be resumed at 8:30 on New Year’s Day.

Congratulations to everyone who ran and thank you to everyone who volunteered.


parkrun 28th December 

This week we had 23 registered Fit Clubbers at 10 different parkrun venues.

We had James and Olivia at Poole, Rachel, Simon M, Elise and Anne at Portsmouth Lakeside, Matt at Sandhurst Memorial, Alex and Eve at Bideford, Andy, Tom, Graeme and Kathy at Southampton, Trish, Glenna and Dave at Whiteley, Jenny, Katie, MC and Sarah at Basingstoke, Mike at Andover, Anna at Dinton Pastures and Vanessa at St Mary’s. 

There was also a cracking PB for Kathy at Southampton with 27:29, a course PB at Whiteley for Dave G with 31:35 and a course PB for Vanessa at St Mary’s, Bridport running a fantastic 22:34.  Vanessa was also first lady!  Superb running!

Jenny complete her 55th parkrun of the year at Basingstoke making her the only Fit Clubber to run every possible UK parkrun in 2019. Glenna and James were a close second but fell just one short on 54. Congratulations Jenny!! 

Today we also celebrate Graeme reaching 100 parkruns. Graeme has predominantly run at Kingston (22), Winchester (21) and Bushy (20) as well as 21 other venues between 1 and 5 times each! Graeme has a PB of 21:15 set at South Manchester parkrun in May 2017! Congratulations Graeme and I look forward to seeing you in your new black T-shirt!!

One last reminder... there is a special double parkrun possible on New Years Day. Winchester is starting at 8:30 to make it easy to get between venues! 

Congratulations to everyone who ran and thank you to everyone who volunteered.


If you have yet to register as Fit Club then all you have to do is go to your parkrun profile (link in the results email) and select Winchester Fit Club RC as your club. You will then appear on our results!

Review of 2019

Mike Hastie

Looking back at 2019 - it’s been a fantastic year! Winchester Fit Club is awesome and I’ve really enjoyed running with you all this year. So many races, cakes and new sourdough names to remember, but three memories stand out in particular:
1) Endure24 – such an amazing weekend away with running friends. I loved the whole experience, but sharing part of a 4am lap with Simon B, just as it was getting light on some beautiful trails, was a particular highlight!

2) The Couch to 5k graduation parkrun in October was a great day, and really felt like WFC at its very best. 9 awesome runners completing the C25k course on a beautiful sunny morning, cheered in by a huge and supportive crowd of Fit Clubbers, and topped off with cake and fizz – perfect!
3) And on a personal note – was great to start on my journey as a run leader this year. I have really enjoyed helping out and taking my first few sessions. Thanks Mike and James for inviting me onto the England Athletics course, and thanks to everyone for being such a supportive group and putting up with my silly warm ups! 

Roll on 2020 – if it’s half as much fun as 2019 I’ll be delighted! ☺
Allen Westoby

2019 highlight(s) - Starting the year with the 12 week challenge really helped set me up for races early in the year. Stubbington 10k was my first highlight of 2019; it was the first race I’ve done which I felt well prepared for and was competitive from the get go. This race pushed me to successive PBs at Stubbington and Winchester - looking forward to round 2 in 2020. Second highlight of 2019 was Clarendon 1/2. Although I was a lot less prepared, the race was a great foray into trail distance running and doing it with a friend took all pressure off. I’ll definitely be looking to do more trail races in the future. 

2020 - Apart from looking forward to early 10k races, I’m mostly looking forward to Endure 24. Need to get a training plan and up my distances but optimistic about the challenge ahead. 

Alf Rodway

2019 brought me to Winchester and to WFC, courtesy of Phily! After competing in 40 events for my 40th birth year, the highlight and lowlight of 2019 was the London Marathon. I was in great shape and achieving PB’s in every distance under 26.2 miles. On target until mile 8 and then as the pain in my gluteus got worse, my target of a sub 4 had vanished. To run the London Marathon is special but I was devastated and broken. 

2020 will be different, less races and more family time. I’m looking forward to buggy running, help others with their goals and continue to run as best I can. Good luck to everyone!

Rachel Mills

Without hesitation my running highlight of 2019 has to be running my first ever marathon in London. The support I received from my fellow WFC runners was amazing. From the wonderful advice, joining me on training runs to supporting cake sales and sponsorship as well as those who came to London on the day to cheer me on. Not to mention finding Anne on the course even though we started at different start lines! I will never forget the day and the achievement I felt when I crossed the finish line.

My second highlight was completing the LiRF (Leadership in Running Fitness) course in September. Hopefully I will get the opportunity to run some more hilly sessions soon! 

Goals for 2020: I would like to get some more races booked in to give me a target to aim for. They might have to be in the latter half of 2020 as I have 6 months left until I finish my degree which is making training difficult to fit in. 

However I love coming to sessions regardless of whether I’m training for a specific race/target. The support and friendliness always makes it the highlight of my week.

Sarah Horton

It now has been several years since I started running on a more regular basis. But this year things have felt a little different. It has been the strongest year for my running with PB’s over a 5km, 10km and half marathon distance. I certainly put this down to the regular sessions at the WFC running club on a Thursday night where I have really built up my stamina and endurance. But more than that I have had a greater belief in myself and my ability. For me running has become much more enjoyable. This comes down to the amazing and incredible support that all the fit clubbers have for one another. I have enjoyed getting to know more and more members of the fit club this year and can’t wait to see what 2020 has to offer!

Karen Parker

My highlight has to be the Bournemouth Marathon. Not only was it the longest race I have done, but it was so beautiful.

Highlights of the Bournemouth marathon were spotting the Hasties on one of the many loops , running along the pier and promenades. Whilst it was really hard running on the sand - covered promenade , I enjoyed it. I loved seeing the wind surfers and kite surfers as I turned around at Sandbanks. 

I really appreciated hearing coach James’s cheery voice shouting my name. Looking up from the pier I could see Win Fit supporters. It was lovely to have James, Mike and Anna at the end, along with my husband and son.  My target for the race was to complete it , and enjoy it. I did!

Sharon Smith

It started brilliantly with a great day at Stubbington. There was a fab team spirit and loads of cracking PBs! The team spirit was out in force a month later for Winchester 10k. The best bit about this was watching Mr Humber retrieve the biggest cake in the world from under a bridge near the finish line. I loved being a part of Anne and Rachel’s marathon journey and going up to cheer them on with PD was definitely a highlight, as were all our refuelling stops. 

Have to mention Endure obviously. Definitely a brutal, epic and relentless weekend. So proud of everyone’s achievements that event. I can almost look back fondly on it. 

Autumn was the C25k which was hard work but brilliant. Loved seeing everyone graduate and so pleased to have played a part!

Wendy Holman

My running highlight in 2019 was not only completing the GSR but finishing ahead of my toyboy husband Simon and my younger brother! Fantastic location, great atmosphere and very supportive spectators.

My goal for 2020 to recover from major heart surgery and a fractured T8 vertebrae, recently spotted on the CT scan for my heart condition! To be as active as my safe recovery will allow and hopefully when the time is right, become a parkrunner again. 

Big love to the amazing fit club family whose unfailing support never fails to uplift me and i know will help me through this. Thank you all.

Sally Boyden

Running highlights this year!! Actually starting running in April! First parkrun in the Summer. First 10k at Hursley in September. First 10 miles at the Great South Run In October. 

Now goal is the London Marathon in April 2020. What a year!!! The main highlights are the people: WFC and WFC Runners have supported and are going to support me all the way to the marathon! Love you all!! 

Glenna Greenslade 

The most significant highlight for me in 2019 was entering and completing my first marathon. I had so much support from the club and offers to accompany me on long runs. I didn’t find the training easy and was so pleased when I had completed the 20 mile target. Another highlight was the Cheriton 11 mile trail run as it was very hilly and I really struggle with hills but did finish it in a reasonable time and first in my age category! To be the recipient of the first Tina Jury Belly Button Award was also a significant highlight.

My goal for 2020 is to try and improve my time at parkrun and get through a 10k without walking up any hills!

Sarah Robinson

2019 running lowlight…Eastleigh 10k was definitely my 2019 running lowlight! Despite getting a course PB (yay!), I really didn’t enjoy it at all, especially by the time I reached 7-8k. Super grumpy and ridiculously hot, I stopped, felt a bit sorry for myself, and then gave myself a good talking to, to push on to the finish. Like childbirth, it’s all forgotten now and I’ve entered for 2020 and will aim to finish with a smile on my face.

2019 running highlight…Joining WFC Running Club in August really has been a major highlight: being part of such a supportive running community; meeting really lovely people; seeing my running improve; and even beginning to rather enjoy the challenge of a hill. I love it! Thanks, everyone. 

In terms of races, my highlight was definitely the New Forest 10k in September - fantastic course, friendly atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. The running felt really good, I didn’t stop and just thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Even managed a 10k PB. 

Goals for 2020…2020 marks the last 12 months of me being a 40-something so I have set myself several goals (things to do before I’m 50), one of which is to bring home a running medal each month (it’s all about the bling!). So far, I’ve got several 10ks booked, starting with Stubbington in January. I’m determined to now increase my distance and aim to run the Great South Run and at least one 1/2 marathon. I’m also part of the Endure 24 team which I’m really looking forward to. A fun 12 months ahead.

Alex Humber

2019 - best year of running so far! I particularly enjoyed returning with the WFCRC gang to the Hursley 10k with our collective smash of course PBs. The challenge of the Great South Run was my farthest distance run so far without stopping, by quite a margin. Despite the grief of missing my childhood (and adulthood) dream of being whacked on the head by Timmy Mallett's mallett which I missed at the start line, it was a pleasant tour of Portsmouth with fantastic crowds. Reaching the 9 mile mark felt a very long way from my pre-running days, and this left an unexpectedly enjoyable final mile along the seafront. Thursday night running club sessions remain a consistent weekly highlight with Coach James and Mike pushing us all hard to develop our capabilities. Running club, then cake, then it's Friday, then it's the weekend!

As for 2020 goals, I'd like to be 'stayin alive' to get the Bee Gees park run badge accolade. And it'll be 'Saturday night fever' again at Endure24, despite having previous living experience of what it entails. A half marathon is on the cards, hopefully without any 'tragedy'. And a London Marathon... the actual route where possible, as a diy easy-going version split into two halves on separate days. Though mainly I'd like to be enjoying supporting other WFCRC runners with more of our activities, events and clubnights. 

Anna Hastie

Picking one running highlight of 2019, for me I think it would have to be running my first marathon in Southampton in May. This is something I never would have ever thought I would have even contemplated when Mike finally managed to persuade me to take up running 2 years earlier! The achievement of crossing the finish line along with being greeted by friends and family is a feeling I don’t think I’ll forget! As well as having other friends and family also out around the course supporting me. 

As for goals for 2020, primarily I want to continue to enjoy running! I am so grateful I am able to run as now I can’t imagine not being able to. If I can get a PB at one or two distances along the way, that would be great too!

Kathy Read

Highlights:

- Tuesday Trot - getting out running on nights I would have given a miss if I was on my own. 
- Post parkrun Brunches 
- Everyone celebrating people's successes no matter how big or small

Next year:

- Building up distance on a more regular basis to improve parkrun times.

Simon Boyden

My highlights of 2019 are mainly these:

Endure 24.....loved the experience and camaraderie of the whole group living and running a 24 hour event.

Winchester Half was brutal, I’m glad I did it in dreadful conditions...but it did set me back 2 months!

Great South 10 miler....fab event, with fab atmosphere.....but too close to Winch Half for a lump like me.

I mention if I may for Tina, who I still find myself looking for at the beginning of each session. I miss her cheeky smile and warm endearing personality more than I thought I would. She and Team Jury are often in my thoughts.

Two other highlights have been the progress that Mrs B has made with her running since the summer. Since witnessing her teenager strop going up a slight hill in early June to her finishing in the pack of the seasoned WFC runners at the Great South surprised me....and her. Very proud and slightly annoyed at her progress!

Lastly, the WFC group is the cherry on the top of this year.....as the slowest runner I’m constantly humbled by the help and encouragement that the group shows me....and I’m truely grateful!

Targets for next year are Winch 10k, Eastleigh 10k, Endure 24, Winch Half maybe(?) and possibly the Great South. To improve I have to loose some weight and get fitter. A sub 1 hour 10k is still my ambition. Last but not least, I looking forward to experiencing Mrs London Marathon training and running!

Katie Johnson

Highlights for 2019 was running GNR in 1 hour 48 mins, my Eastleigh 10K in 48 mins 26 seconds and parkrun 5K in 22.30mins. I also think it was lovely to be invited by WFC to become a member even though I can’t make it to a lot of the sessions due to my work. I still felt like I was included. I wrote a blog. And now I even have the t shirt. 

Goals for 2020. Less focus on times and PB and do more for the experiences and having fun while being fit and active. While also increasing my medal collection. 

Simon Robinson 

My first 10k of 2019 had both a high and low all in one race. The highlight was how good the first 4k felt, especially given I had done next to no training, and I was running at a good pace and feeling strong! However, this high was soon replaced by a wall at 7K and ridiculous unseasonably hot weather. This, combined with the lack of training, meant for a really gruelling last 3k and I was so relieved to make the finish line.

But my highlight of the year has certainly been joining Winchester Fit Club. The combination of Mike’s great HiiT sessions and James’ fantastic hill and sprint tortures has made such a difference to my running. I’m no longer getting the niggling injuries I had previously and I’m hoping my PBs will reflect this in 2020. And of course the amazing bunch of people that go along each week and are so encouraging and welcoming, give the club a brilliant family feel

My running lowlight for the year was in the New Forest 10k. My trusty Apple watch and Nike run app were indicating I was on apace for a new PB and I was feeling good. To my horror, my watch buzzed to say I’d finished the 10k about 500m from the official finish! I was so disappointed and so right there and then vowed to switch to a Garmin for future races.

My goal for 2020 is to beat my 10k PB and also complete at least one half marathon. Oh and of course, use my new Garmin Christmas present (thanks Sarah!) to pace my runs.

Stefan Kemp

With a little help from WFC, 2019 was the year I finally managed to get back into running after a couple of injury-plagued years. It was a year of many highs including breaking the 20 minute 5k for the first time. However, my favourite running moment of 2019 has to be Endure24. Despite the low-point of injuring my knee in the early hours of the morning with 6km of lap six still to complete, it was the furthest I have run in a day, with every lap of the course bringing something new to the experience and the weekend was a great opportunity to get to know some of the fantastic members of WFC runners. For 2020, Lucy and I have set ourselves the target of a race for every month of the year. Let us know if you have any suggestions!

James White

Aside from the progress we have made as a club my highlights have been remaining relatively injury free for the entire year.  This has enabled me to be more consistent with my training and as a result I have seen my times improving.  I really enjoyed Stubbington back at the start of the year, both for the team atmosphere and the run itself.  I managed to break my 5km PB at Severn Bridge parkrun in Feb and then in March I broke my 10km PB at Eastleigh, where once again the team camaraderie was superb.  I ran my 250th parkrun in July and then had an excellent summer training block which prepared me well for the Winchester and Bournemouth halfs in the Autumn, breaking my half PB at the latter but narrowly missing out on my target by an annoying 17 seconds.   

My targets for 2020 are to run a few more races in our new club colours!  I would like to finally go under 1:40 for the half and would love to further lower my 5km time. I am super excited about Endure 24 where I hope to run further than I have before.  I would also like to potentially do another ultra marathon.  Mainly though I want to stay fit and uninjured and to continue to enjoy my running in whatever form that takes.    

Spring Challenge details!

Here are the initial details about the 12 week new year challenge!

STARTS 6th Jan and is FREE to enter!

Challenge is broken into 3 parts each lasting 4 weeks. Aim is to build consistency and focus into your running and help you achieve your 2020 spring targets.


It is open to EVERYONE and ANYONE. The scoring of the challenge is fair and constructed in such a way that anyone can compete regardless of the standard they compete at!

The first 4 week block is simple! You just have to tell me how many runs you plan to do for each of the 4 weeks. It is a minimum of 1 run and that run must be a minimum of 1 mile. Run the number of times you said and you will get maximum points. Points docked for missing runs. (Full details of scoring will be released later).

The second 4 week block builds on the first. You will still predict the number of runs you are going to do each week, but in addition you will predict the length of the longest run you will do each week. Points docked (on sliding scales) for missing runs and not achieving targets

(Note; as the aim is to build consistency into your training and help you get a better understanding of your running, you will be penalised equally for being faster than your target as you would be for being slower. This also prevents people sandbagging when it comes to target times!)

The third block of 4 weeks is the same as the second but we add in a target race. So you will predict the number of times you will run each week and your longest run each week. In addition you will state a target time at a race or parkrun or distance of your choice (eg I will run 1:39:59 at the Reading Half) You only pick the target race time once for the whole 4 week block, not one per week. As with above you will get docked points for not completing the number of runs and not meeting your target distance. You will also be docked points on a sliding scale for being over or under your target time.

Obviously you could just set the minimum number of runs, make distances low and predict a time you can achieve easily...but that’s not really in the spirit of the challenge. I want you to really think about what you want to achieve next year and push yourself to go for it. If you normally run twice a week maybe try and go for 3 runs. Think about your goals and really go for it. For the marathon runners the number of runs and target distances can tie into your training plans and the target race may be a half you are planning to do where you will aim for a marathon race pace time. If you are doing C25K you could use the number of runs and distances dictated by the plan and then have a target 5km at the end...it really can be whatever you want it to be!

At the end of each week (on a Sunday) I will ask you to let me know what you actually achieved. I may do some small checks on Strava from time to time but on the whole I’ll be relying on you to be honest about it. I will then enter this in the spreadsheet and produce the points table.

Everyone will have one wildcard which they can play at anytime. This allows you to get maximum points for the number of runs and the distance (but not the target race) for one week only. This is to be used in case of minor injury or life drama where you need to take a small pause in your training. Obviously any major injuries my advice would be to rest and recover for as long as you need and forget about the competition!

It is only a bit of fun but we may have some small prizes donated for the top runners at the end.

LOGISTICS: 


This will be an honesty based challenge. I will create a spreadsheet where I will log your predictions at the start of each 4 week block.

At the end of the day the only person you are really competing against is yourself. Done properly I believe this is an excellent way of really focusing on your training and how you are going to achieve your targets and it’s a great way to get you into shape going into the spring race season.


Please shout if you have any questions or need anything clarified. I’m putting all of this into a pdf which I will put on google docs and on Facebook. This will also have full details of the scoring.

General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

Dates for your diary:

2nd Jan 2020 - Abbey Gardens

Sally's Marathon Journey

You can follow Sally B's Marathon journey in her blog:  http://sallymarathon.home.blog

Sally is also fundraising for Winchester Hospice.  Her JustGiving page can be found here:  https://www.justgiving.com/Sally-Boyden

Winchester and District Sports Awards

Every year the Winchester District Sport & Physical Activity Alliance recognise local clubs, organisations and residents who have been recognised for going above and beyond whether individually or as part of a club or team.

Winchester Fit Club and Mike D have previously been recognised,  If you would like to nominate Fit Club or any of its coaches, or any other local sports organisations then you can do so by following this link:  https://www.winchester.gov.uk/sport/sports-awards-2019

Nominations close 3rd of January, with the awards on the 6th of February.

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment