Monday 25 November 2019

WFC Runners - AGM, parkrun, C25K feedback, Andy M hits 50!

News - AGM

The main event this week was the 2nd Running club AGM and our first as an affiliated running club.  There was a superb turn out at the Cart and Horses, with some runners having gone out for a pre-meeting run.  

There was a packed agenda, which was started off by Mike and James talking about the year just gone and the plans for the future.  Laura presented the club's financial summary before we moved on to the election of club officials for the year, who were all reelected to their positions.  The committee is therefore as follows:

Mike Day – Chairman
Laura Day – Treasurer
James White – Member secretary and Head Coach
Sharon Smith – Welfare and DBS
Anne Richards – Secretary
Karen Parker – Deputy Secretary
Simon Holman – Member Representative
Rachel Mills – Member Representative
Alex Humber – Social Secretary

Next up was James' proposal to introduce a new payment option for affiliated members.  This see's members being given the option to pay £50 a year for their affiliation fee and their weekly session fees.  This was voted on and passed unanimously.  

In between these agenda points Mike revealed the sample race kit for the club.  The kit will now be ordered and should be with us for the start of the 2020 race calendar!

This led us neatly on to the two big ticket agenda items; The club London Marathon place and the Tina Jury Belly Button award.

As an affiliated club with more than 10 members we are given a London Marathon space.  We had agreed at the last committee meeting that this would be done by a straight draw, with members asked if they would like to be in the hat.  This gave us 18 members in the draw on the evening.  To recognise the contribution she has made across the year we asked Monica Gill, AKA Simon's Mum, to make the draw.  After some tension building the winners was revealed as Sally Boyden! 


You can follow Sally's Marathon journey in her blog:  http://sallymarathon.home.blog

Sally is also fundraising for Winchester Hospice.  Her JustGiving page can be found here:  https://www.justgiving.com/Sally-Boyden.


Then we were on to the final award of the night, the Tina Jury Belly Button Award.  This is the first year that the award was being presented and we had a large number of nominations.  This year the committee reviewed the nominations and agreed who should be the recipient.  On the night we had Alistair, Katarina and Anna Jury there to present the award.  After some words from Al the envelope was opened and the award went to Glenna Greenslade! Congratulations Glenna!  Here are the nominations for Glenna:

"Her outstanding grit & determination in running her first marathon this year at the age of 69. She achieved her goal despite feeling unwell during the run.Her contribution to supporting parkrun both as a prolific volunteer & achieving over 250 parkruns. Giving something back to other runners by supporting the couch to 5k newbies.She is an all round inspirational runner and club member - she is always cheerful and friendly and chats to everyone. In short I believe Glenna embodies all the qualities the WFC running club aspires to."

"Great Role Model, puts a lot into parkrun, encouraging" 

"Very inspirational lady. For her dedication and tenacity in training for and then completing a marathon"

"Glenna has shown there bus no age limit to what you can achieve as a runner ..training for a marathon is not easy truly an inspiration"

If you would like to read the Chairman's and Treasurer's reports I have saved them here: https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/11/wfc-runners-2019-agm-chairmans-and.html


Thank you to everyone who came and congratulations to Sally and Glenna.  

parkrun summary – 16th Nov

This week we had 30 registered Fit Clubbers at 6 different parkrun venues. We had 23 members at Winchester, Trish at Penrose, Issy at Queen Elizabeth, Fran at Alice Holt, Glenna and Dave at Whiteley, James and Olivia at Littlehampton Prom.

There were loads more PBs, including some from our wonderful C25K graduates:

Dave G - Whiteley - 32:28 (course PB)
Trish H - Penrose - 27:25 (course PB)
Anna H - Winchester - 22:19
Kathy R - Winchester - 28:09
Debs C - Winchester - 33:33
Ian C - Winchester - 33:34
Maggie H - Winchester - 35:47

This week also saw Andy Mant Run his 50th parkrun. Andy has run 46 times at Winchester, twice at Southampton and once each at Basingstoke and Alice Holt. Andy has a PB of 20:08. Congratulations Andy, look forward to seeing you in your new red t-shirt!  Read more about Andy's journey to 50 below!

We also had Sheelagh running at Crosby parkrun in 30:50. 

If you have yet to register as Fit Club then all you have to do is go to your parkrun profile (link in the results email) and select Winchester Fit Club RC as your club. You will then appear on our results! 

Congratulations to everyone who ran and thank you to everyone who volunteered.

Here is a link to the consolidated club report: http://www.parkrun.com/results/consolidatedclub/?clubNum=26888&eventdate=2019-11-23

C25K feedback

Ian Cotgrave

9 weeks ago I started an apprehensive journey on the C25K. Couldn’t walk up hills without being out of breath. Thanks to the motivation of my wife Debz and the Winchester Fit Club I have not only completed my target but also my first parkrun.

What a great achievement thanks in no small part to all of the WFC helpers and the support.


Met a lot of lovely people and made some great friends too.  Here’s to continuing this journey!


Yvonne Spikes

I’m not sure if James remembers meeting me. I had just finished the Monday class with Mike on the High Street and was introduced to him by a fellow WFC lady as we headed home, probably about half a year ago. James said I should join the running class. I explained that I couldn’t run. He said, “you don’t have to be able to run very far or fast, if you can run 400m you’ll be able to cope with the class”. I remember thinking how impossible it was for me to be able to run 400 m, told him so and went home thinking there was no way I’d be able to do that.

In September when the C25k began I thought it would be good to get to 400m or 5 minute runs at a time. I didn’t actually think I would be able to complete the program.


I decided to put the runs into my diary and minimise the chances of finding an excuse. For example; on way to see my sister I set off with my running gear on and went for a run on the way instead of stopping at the services, on weekends away I ran along the promenade and cliffs and enjoyed lots of beautiful scenery I wouldn't normally see. I foresaw that Week 5 was going to be absolutely horrible and that I was going to be away with work and miss the group run so I got ahead of the programme and asked if someone could join me on a different night and Rachel said yes. Thank you Rachel. After that I started to think, hmmm maybe I can actually do this (!?). And I did. Woo hoo!!


I feel incredibly pleased that I’ve actually completed the Programme. I’m not a natural runner. It has definitely been hard. When I’m asked what’s next; I feel like I’ve just achieved something big and would like to maintain it. That’s a challenge in itself.


I couldn’t have complete this programme without everyone’s support. THANK YOU!!!


Runner write-ups

Not looking bad for 50 (parkruns!) by Andy Mant

If self-indulgent tripe is not your thing…best look away now.

This time last year I had completed just nine parkruns (all at Winchester), and ran just once a week (not even every week) around a short 5k course with a buddy from work, usually in around 25 minutes. I am not really sure why (I had probably been drinking), but I decided to set two targets to start on New Year’s day; run over 500k in the year, and complete a parkrun in under 20 minutes. Given that my PB was just under 22 minutes at the time there was a fair bit of progress to make, so I started with new shoes! It surprised me the difference ‘proper’ running shoes made as the pain disappeared from my knees and relocated to my calves, although, it only took a few weeks of running three times rather than just one and the extra strength meant I could now run even 7k without any pain at all.

I used Strava (other running apps also available) to track my sessions, and build a programme that had me running further and further through the winter months. Every run teaching me something about my own ability, and an analysis that pointed to sections of the run I could go harder. This repetition may seem mind numbing, but as I learned to focus on my breathing I actually started enjoying being out in the fresh air and having time to sort through my thoughts.

It was soon February and my times at parkrun were not improving, but the fact that the voice in side no-longer told me to stop after the first lap was a huge step forward. My capacity for running had indeed improved, but as I read about speed control and practised changing my speed for intervals over my favourite courses, I became concerned about my failure to get to the target I had set myself. Each run seemed like a failure, and the only thing that kept me going was how my daughter beamed with pride each time she saw me doing a lap of the North-Walls park.

Then, the weather improved and the PBs came thick and fast, sometimes even consecutive weeks. However, something inside me was nagging away ‘I was still failing,’ but at least now I was failing better! As the school year came to an end I joined a running club that stands basically for running at any speed as long as you like cake (I dare anyone to pick holes in that) and was given the opportunity to really push myself over short distances in order to build strength and control that I could apply on my longer runs. I continued reading and learned about nutrition and speeding my recovery.

I was lucky enough, on a glorious summer’s day to hear a motivational speech from dame Kelly Holmes, and ran my heart out with her words ringing in my head and got to within 8 seconds of my time target for this year. I have continued to try, but still keep failing on the time target, although I am now close to 1000k for the year so at least that one is in the bag! I have taken on new challenges, made a lot of new friends, and can’t wait to up my distance in 2020. Thanks to everyone that has motivated, coached or just been there as I have moved towards my own goals, but the main thing I have learned this year is ‘failing is nothing to be afraid of once you learn to fail better.’

General Announcements

WFC Running Club Calendar

Dates for your diary:

Thursday 28th Nov - Dean Lane Park - 19:00
Saturday 30th Nov - Shelley's 1 year streak parkrun and team breakfast - 09:00

Winchester and District Sports Awards

Every year the Winchester District Sport & Physical Activity Alliance recognise local clubs, organisations and residents who have been recognised for going above and beyond whether individually or as part of a club or team.

Winchester Fit Club and Mike D have previosuly been recognised,  If you would like to nominate Fit Club or any of it's coaches, or any other local sports organisations then you can do so by following this link:  https://www.winchester.gov.uk/sport/sports-awards-2019

Nominations close 3rd of January, with the awards on the 6th of February.

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club RC is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club RC and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Running Club WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Facebook Group

There is a WFC Runners Facebook page where we put the blog posts, news and race pictures.  Follow the link: 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/976444695871618/

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club RC page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-RC. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment