Monday 2 September 2019

WFC Runners - Coach Rachel, Alf defeats the Beast, parkrun, hills, Two Tunnels race report

News

The big news this week is that Rachel Mills successfully completed the England Athletics Leadership in Running Fitness course today. Rachel joins myself, Mike H and Mike D as qualified coaches to lead our running sessions. 

This is funded using the subs which you pay each week and shows our commitment to expanding the club and the services we can offer as well as our desire to identify and develop talent on either the running or the coaching side of things.

Congratulations Coach Rachel and thank you for joining us on the coaching team! 

For more information please see the following website:


We also had Alf competing at one of the tougher races around, the Beast in Dorset. The Beast is described as follows:

"The Beast is just that, a beast of race. Hosted by Poole AC, this event takes in some of the most spectacular views of Dorset (well in our humble opinion), the 13(ish) mile ‘undulating’ course starts on Corfe Castle Common before heading out towards Worth Matravers and then on to the coastal path with great views of the sea! The course then heads back towards Corfe with only a few ‘minor’ hills to get up."

When the description says “undulating” and “minor hills” you should always be wary! This race boasted over 1800ft of elevation on some really tough trails! Alf did superbly well to complete in 2h24m. Look out for the write up in subsequent weeks! 

As we now head into the Autumn we are back into race season! We have the Winchester half coming up which a few of us are running in, we also have Glenna Running her marathon debut at Richmond and a number of people doing races at the Bournemouth Marathon Festival. There are also stacks of other races on a busy race calendar!

This blog has been so successful over the years because of your stories and experiences. Members love hearing about races and your achievements. If you are racing this autumn please consider penning a writeup for the blog. It doesn’t have to be long and it can be about whatever you want to write about. It could be about a parkrun you’ve visited or a favourite training route you’ve done. It could even be a recipe you’ve found!!  It really does enrich the weekly blog! Thank you in advance! 

parkrun update - 31st August

This week we had 27 Fit Clubbers at 7 different parkrun venues in 2 countries! We had 19 at Winchester, Isabel at Greenwich, Glenna at Lymington Woodside, Graeme at Wilmslow, Trish at Market Rasen, Mike and Anna at Aachener Weiher ðŸ‡©ðŸ‡ªand Alfie and Alf at Bideford. 

There were more amazing PBs:

Stefan 19:20 - Winchester
Andy 20:13 - Winchester
Sarah H 23:26 - Winchester
Sarah R 27:35 - Winchester 
Wendy H 28:30 - Winchester
Debra 34:33 - Winchester

We also had Alex celebrating his 50th parkrun! Alex has run 33 times at Winchester, 12 times at Newbury, once at Tamar Lakes, Southampton, Lanhydrock, Southsea and Ormeau! Alex has a PB of 26:02. Look forward to seeing you in your new red T-shirt soon.

Also of note...Anna took first lady at Aachener Weiher parkrun in Cologne, Germany. Congratulations Anna!! In more Hastie news...Mike and Sarah’s mum Maggie returned for her second parkrun and smashed her PB. What a star! 

Congratulations to everyone who ran and volunteered.


Thursday 29th Session - Hill Sprints

This weeks session started at Dean Lane park and we greeted new members Sarah and Simon to the group! We also saw Jackie return to the group, which was great! They joined 22 others for a killer hill session on Burnett Close.  

After a warmup in the park we headed out for a short warm-up up Fromond road, along the footpath and back down Burnett Close.  I had marked up a start line and 5 points up the hill, however I had miscounted and we ended up with 6 (0,1,2,3,4,5)! 

The session was a set of shuttle sprints up the hill.  We started by sprinting to 1, then jogging back to the start, then sprint to 3 then jog back to the start, then sprint to 5 and then jog back to the start.  After a short rest we repeated this but in reverse...5,3,1.  

We then sprinted to 2 and then to 4 with jog recoveries back to the start in between. 

After a short break we split into 5 teams of 5.  Here we ran two sets of relays with each team member sprinting to 3 and back to the start before tagging the next team member.  As ever the effort levels were clearly raised as soon as competition was introduced!

Once the relays were completed we did one more set of shuttles...this time a full set of 1,2,3,4 and 5 with jog recoveries in between.  

We then had a jog back to Dean Lane park where we stretched and ended the session. 

Thank you to everyone who came along, and welcome to Sarah and Simon!  

Race Reports

Bath Two Tunnels 10km by Wendy Holman

For context I will go back to the last time I took part in a 10km event, London `Winter run` February 2017. On the train to London Simon had tried to persuade me not to run. A few days earlier I had picked up an injury whilst training. It had started as a dull ache in my ribs (that’s odd I thought) as the pain got worse it moved into my back and I had to curtail my run. That evening I was in agony, but after a few days rest I felt o.k and thought maybe I was being a bit of a drama queen! 

The day of the race was frosty, cold and bright. As we shuffled toward the start I was shivering with cold and just wanted to get started. But as soon as I started to run I knew it was a huge mistake, as pain seared through my back. I though to myself you need to stop, but I couldn’t bear the thought of being that person who gives up because they have a bit of a niggle, especially as we had been sponsored to run the race for Cancer research. So I kept going, I didn’t see the famous landmarks or hear the encouragement of the crowds. I was a world of pain plodding along. Totally focused on putting one foot in front of the other and the finish line. As I turned into Whitehall and the home straits, I was clearly in trouble. Someone broke from the crowd and started to run along side me. The whole time talking to me willing me forward, “come on you can do this, you're nearly there, there is the finish line,” I glanced sideways into the face of a little old lady in running kit and felt so grateful for her support and encouragement. Just as we got to the finish line she melted back in to the crowd, so that I crossed the line alone. I never got the chance to thank her.

To cut a long story short. It subsequently emerged that I had run that 10km with a fractured vertebrae. Which in itself led to the discovery that I have osteoporosis. It has been a long journey back to running.

Two tunnels August 2019 – By race day my only objective was to finish the race. Preferably to run the whole distance, but to listen to my body and run / walk if necessary. On arrival at the venue "Brickfield park" in the middle of Bath my anxiety levels began to rise. In addition to the usual.... I don't think I can do this, what was I thinking signing up for this, I was confused by the signage and started to worry I might get lost ( there was multiple events taking place ) also I feared falling in the darkness of the tunnels. When our wave was called I listened intently to the instruction, whilst those around us chatted and relaxed. There was a short dynamic warm up and then we were off! We ran across the park and then came to a standstill as everyone funnelled out of the field through a bottleneck down a slippery steep bank, onto a narrow path. I was aware of Simon on my shoulder and the thought occurred to me that he was hanging back for a while to make sure I was alright as he knew how anxious I had been feeling, but that he would overtake me soon. 

I fell into a comfortable steady pace tucking in behind another runner. We had been asked to keep to the left as we were running on a public footpath, also because the course would be doubling back the same way. I soon realised that I would need to overtake to maintain my pace. Much to my surprise I repeated this pattern several times tucking in, and then needing to overtake. Soon I became aware that Simon was no longer behind me. I entered the first tunnel, the cool air welcome after the heat of the sun. The ground felt wonderfully smooth under my feet and in the semi darkness It felt like I was running really fast/ flying! The thought occurred to me that I should be pacing myself, that I was probably running too fast and may suffer for it later in the race. But I felt so good, like a proper runner, I decided to just enjoy this moment in time and keep going at this pace no matter what the consequences. 


The first tunnel was 408m long and soon I was emerging into the sunshine again. The sun was high and the temperature rising in stark contrast to the coolness of the tunnel. I was glad to see the second tunnel ahead. This one was far longer at 1,672m long (just over a mile) it was impossible to judge how far I'd run in the dark. Just when I thought I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, I realised it was a cyclist coming the other way. On emerging from the second tunnel it was a short distance to the half way point, where we ran around a stake and doubled back the way we came. 


As I headed back towards the tunnels I crossed paths with Simon who was still running outbound. I had long since convinced myself that he must have overtaken me in the darkness of the tunnels so I was both surprised and delighted to realise I was still ahead of him. Of course it didn’t last long. Shortly after the 6km marker I re-entered the tunnel and it wasn't long before Simon overtook me. I tried to keep up with him, but was tiring now and he steadily pulled away from me. My mission now was just to push through to the finish line. So I aligned myself with someone who was running at a good pace and tried to stay with them through the second tunnel. 

The last part of the race was uphill which slowed me further, but the end was now in sight. I turned back on to the field and ran to the finish line. Completing the course in 1:00:40 much to my delight. Brilliant event which I would highly recommend. Of course I will have to do it again next year... I was so close to breaking that hour, I cant just leave it there!

General Announcements


WFC Running Club Calendar

Dates for your diary:

Thursday 5th September - Garnier Road

Thursday 12th September - Abbey Gardens, running club 2nd birthday drinks afterwards 
Thursday 19th September - River Park Leisure Centre
Thursday 26th September - South Winchester Park and Ride

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club Runners is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club Runners and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Runners WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club Runners club page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-Runners. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment