Monday 15 July 2019

WFC Runners - PPP Winchester, Mountain Ultra, parkrun and hills hills hills!

News


This week we had a number of runners competing in the Winchester Pedal, Paddle Pace.  Starting in waves outside the Guildhall (inconveniently for any events going on inside) the triathlon (with a difference) consists of the following:

Pedal 20km through Hampshire Country Lanes
Paddle 2km up the Itchen Navigation Canal, kayaks provided
Pace 5km along the newly-restored Hockley Viaduct

The event can either be done as a solo entrant or as a 3 person team with each person doing one leg each. 


Alf, Sarah H, Lynn, Alice, Graeme, Simon Hm, Jenny and Katie all participated.  Well done to everyone involved!  Definitely one for next year!

Running club founding member and all round amazing chap, Adam ran a 102km mountain Ultra with 4,000m of elevation this weekend.  Despite three huge thunder storms and all those mountains he finished in an amazing 15h15m and came 22nd. What an absolute legend! Congratulations Adam! 

parkrun News 13th July


This week we had 15 Fit Clubbers running at 3 different parkrun venues.  We had 13 at Winchester, James at Valentines and Glenna at Brooklands. 

Despite it being another scorching hot morning there was one PB...Anne at Winchester with a cracking 29:04! This was later attributed to a lack of people to chat to and therefore having to actually run! Great work Anne! 


Thursday Session 11th July - Blue Ball and St Giles Hills


This week the team met up at Abbey Gardens with 20 eager runners keen to take on another hill session.  After a warm-up we headed off to Blue Ball hill for the first set of reps.
Once at Blue ball we did a hard effort from bottom to the cross roads at the top, with jog recovery back down.  This was repeated 4 times.

We then headed up to St Giles hill via Alresford Rd.  We stopped at the bottom of the footpath that leads into the park.  This is another hill of roughly 100m length and fairly steep, so good for another set of hill sprints.  As with Blue Ball we ran from Bottom to Top as a hard effort with jog recovery back down.  This was repeated 4 times.

We then headed into the North West corner of the park.  Here we did shuttle runs up the length of the hill to the top of the park.  The first section was roughly 20m long, then 40m and then 80m.  We put in a hard effort up the hill and jog recovery back to the start, before immediately turning and going off hard again until all three distances had been completed.  This was repeated twice through. 
Lastly we did 2 reps up the same hill to the lamppost and back.  After this was completed we headed back down to Abbey Gardens for our cooldown and stretch. 

We had arranged to head to the Willow Tree for drinks following the session and a large group came along. It was an excellent social drink and a great way to spend a summer’s evening, we will do the same again before the summer is up!

Next week we are meeting at Garnier Rd at 7pm.

Race Reports

New Forest 10 by Catherine Westoby

I booked the new forest 10 after doing a 14km trail run one Sunday with Anna H, 1R and Rachel, followed by a 9km run the next day with more fit clubbers. It was the furthest I had run since I gained an injury last October and I felt great. I bragged ’not even a niggle’ when I came home buzzing from the run. I liked the sound of the new forest 10 as it was trail and amongst the ponies in the New Forest. I had never done a trail race but since moving to Kings Worthy my default run is trail and I feel at my happiest amongst nature. 

A week or so after signing up I ran 10km back at the riverbank at my home. I felt the old niggle quite soon into the run but rather than stopping I STUPIDLY kept going….and was back to making involuntary yelps going up stairs and was gutted. I remembered how sad I was last year dropping out of Gosport half so made the decision that no matter how much it hurt I was going to keep running and try to do the race, albeit at a slower pace. 

The week before the race I was nervous and couldn’t decide if I was being really stupid but reckoned coping with disappointment of dropping out would be worse than hobbling a bit! Race morning arrived and I arrived ridiculously early for me (>1.5 hours!!) collected my race number and then just chilled out. It was quite a late race – starting at 11.15am but thankfully the weather wasn’t as warm as the previous day and even a few drops of rain were falling before the start of the race which was very welcome. 

The race started in a bit of an over-grown field in New Park Brockenhurst but it wasn’t long until it turned into a gravel path. The 10mile was a loop running through the New Forest with lots of ponies on either side to distract me. I broke my watch strap the week before the race so had to use Allen’s old TomTom. I didn’t really know how to work it and it didn’t have a pace per minute so in a way it helped as I couldn’t feel disappointed by my pace and had to just go with what my body was able for. 

I met a nice lady whom I ran with for the bones of the first 11km. After that point my injury started to bother me/I was hungry and had no gel as it was about 12.30…..my usual lunch time – schoolboy error! The miles went very slowly after †hat point but I told myself that it was only a parkrun to go and even if I walked a bit I would comfortably make my target time of 1hr 45mins. It felt like every person in the race passed me in the last 2km…..even the man that made the ‘last breath of life’ kind of noise whilst running passed me. 

I was super chuffed to see the finish line and a cheering Allen at the end and tried to sprint, unsuccessfully! I must have looked rough crossing the line as the paramedic asked me if I was ok and then the next person gave me a beer as a ‘spot prize’. The Medal was absolutely hench but no ribbon sadly to hang it around my neck. 

After I had caught my breathI went to the lovely ladies doing voluntary massages in aid of a local hospice. I wasn’t expecting much but she was excellent and got straight to work on my injury. I think this really helped as I recovered fairly well post run. 

Overall I would say, injury aside it was my favourite race. I absolutely loved being off road and the ponies and lovely forest completely distracted me from the run. There were loads of marshals and support every step of the way. Everything was signposted well and there were 3 very welcome water breaks on a fairly hot day. Allen tells me the bacon sandwiches were lovely but there was a lack of cake. The free beer made up for it however. I would definitely recommend it as a race & plan to do it again next year with more company hopefully.

General Announcements


WFC Running Club Calendar

- 18th July - Garnier Road

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club Runners is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club Runners and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Runners WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club Runners club page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-Runners. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment