Monday 3 June 2019

WFC Runners - RunFestRun, Triathlons, parkrun, Vitality 10,000 writeup

News

This week we had Alice attending RunfestRun.  This is the new running and music festival set up by Chris Evans.  There were a host of runs across the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Alice ran the Sunset Shuffle 5km on Friday night in 26:00, before running another 5km on Saturday as part of Paula Radcliffe's team, this time in 35:09.  A full write-up of RunFestRun will be coming next week! 

Not content with the sprint session on Thursday and then two 5km races on Friday and Saturday Alice headed down to the Poole Festival of Running to take part in the 10km.  Based in Poole Park the Festival has a 5KM on the Saturday night and a 10km and Half Marathon on the Sunday.  Alice was taking part in the 10km and despite the previous few days' activity she managed to smash out a superb 50:09, a new PB by over a minute.  Superb running!!

In addition to Alice's running we also had a couple of Fit Clubbers taking part in Triathlons this weekend.  


On the Saturday we had Allen taking part in the Olympic distance Tri Athy triathlon in Athy, Ireland.  This was a 1.5km swim, followed by a 40km ride and a 10km run.  Allen completed this in a superb 2:34:36 and was 57th out of 452 entrants.  

On the Sunday we had Sarah L taking part in the Blenheim Palace Sprint Triathlon. This was a 0.75km swim, 19.8km ride and a 5.4km run.  Sarah completed this in a cracking 1:43:40.  

Well done to everyone who ran, cycled and swam this weekend!

parkrun Summary - 1st June




This week we had 21 Fit Clubbers running at 5 different parkrun venues.  There were 16 at Winchester, Isabel at Greenwich, Rachel and Simon at Whiteley, Mike at Basingstoke and Trish at The Eden Project! 

It was another warm morning but despite the heat there were more superb runs and yet again more PBs:

Stefan - (19:37) - Winchester
Tom - (20:12) - Winchester
Lucy - (24:32) - Winchester
Shelley - (24:55) - Winchester
Philippa - (25:20) - Winchester 

Special mention to Mike H who was guiding a visually impaired runner at Basingstoke and to Alf for his cracking photos at Winchester!!


Thursday Running Club Session - 30th May - Palmer's Field sprints


Thursday saw the runners meeting at Garnier Rd.  There were 20 keen runners on a beautiful early summer's evening.  After a brief chat we headed off on our warm-up via the tennis club and back onto Palmer's Field.  

The session was to be a mixed sprint session on the grass.  We therefore did the following:

- 4 x 30sec sprints with jog recovery

- Mixed length sprints - jog down the field until James blew the whistle then sprint back to the start
- 5 team relays (again a closely fought affair)
- 2 x 30sec sprints with jog recovery

We then jogged back the way we came, stretched and cooled down.  

Next week's session will be meeting at Abbey Gardens, followed by cake and drinks at Number 5 Bridge Street.

Race Reports


Vitality 10,000 – by Coach James

Towards the end of last year I received an email from parkrun with an offer for free entry to the Vitality 10,000 in London.  I was apparently eligible, as I had run over 40 parkruns last year.  I signed up immediately.  

Fast forward a few months and it was an early start as I hopped into the car and headed up to Richmond, a short tube ride and I was at Waterloo.  I needed to warm up so I decided to walk up to the start area in Green Park.  

As I got on to the Mall I found myself heading up the start/finish straight so asked a security guard where I needed to go.  He checked my number and directed me to another guard who conducted a very thorough bag search.  I was thinking that, whilst it was great that they were taking security so seriously, it would take ages to do bag searches of all 20,000 entrants!  Anyway, bag search done I was directed through into a fenced off area.  

It was around now that I realised I may be in the wrong place.  All around me there were very serious looking athletes warming up and a host of wheelchair athletes getting themselves ready.  Walking onwards another security guard pointed to a white marquee and said “your athlete will be in there”.   Confused I asked what he meant.  He pointed at my Fit Club top with Coach on the front and said “You’re a coach right?  The athletes are in there.”.  He pointed again at the tent and I saw the sign saying “Elite”.  Reading the confused look on my face he realised that I was not supposed to be there.   I had been misdirected into the elite area by mistake.   He showed me out the back entrance and pointed me in the right direction. 

Arriving in Green Park there were people everywhere.  Huge queues for the loos and an even bigger queue for the bag drop.    I saw some people I knew from my parkrun tourism and a couple of old friends from school (but no Fit Clubbers).  After a quick wee I dropped my bag off and headed to the start.

I was in the Black wave, which was the second one off which meant a start time of 10:10.  I had another nervous wee and then got in position towards the back of my pen.  Loud music got us in the mood for running and before long we were off.  

The first part of the run was straight down The Mall and into Trafalgar Square.  It was really well supported as we ran past Nelson’s Column but the route was really congested.  Despite being in a “faster” wave by the 1stKM there were loads of people walking.  The first few miles consisted of dodging and weaving in and out of the crowds.  It made getting any kind of rhythm really hard and I started to get into a real grump.  I am in fairly good shape and wanted to run faster than I was able to!

I was so focussed on trying to run well and trying to avoid other runners that I completely missed running past St Pauls Cathedral!  It was a hot day and by half way I was starting to feel the heat, but it was here that the crowds thinned out somewhat and I was able to hit a more consistent pace. By this time we were heading back towards Westminster, down past Downing Street to the houses of Parliament.  It was like doing the last few miles of the London Marathon without having to do the first 20 miles…it meant I got some great new Strava segment PBs! 

With all the weaving I got to the 400m to go sign and my watch let me know that I had hit 10km, pretty much bang on my target of 45mins, unfortunately there was still a quarter of a mile to go!  Up birdcage walk I picked my feet up and managed a strong sprint finish in front of Buckingham Palace.  Finishing with a time of 46:54. 

As I crossed the line sir Mo was being presented with his winners medal, but I was roasting hot (I ended up with sun burn in the shape of my vest)  and just wanted water so I walked through to pick up my medal and goody bag.  I collected my bag and headed back to the finish line in time to see Glenna come through. II waited for a while to see if I could see Sarah, Jenny or Isabel, but didn’t manage to spot them.  I grabbed a couple of pics of Sir Mo before heading off to meet up with a group of parkrun tourists for beer and lunch before heading home.

The race was excellent; well organised, well supported, good t-shirt, good medal, good facilities.  With nearly 20,000 runners though it can be congested so you aren’t necessarily guaranteed a good time.  I would definitely do it again next year, especially if I was able to get free entry again!!

General Announcements


WFC Running Club Calendar

- 6th June - Abbey Garden followed by drinks and cake at #5 Bridge Street
- 11th June - Running Club committee meeting
- 13th June - Deans Lane Park
- 20th June - Garnier Road
- 22nd June - Fit Club 3rd birthday party
- 27th June - South Winch p&r
- 29th June - Coach James’ 250th parkrun and team breakfast afterwards
- 1st July - Track Session

WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club Runners is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club Runners and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Runners WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club Runners club page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-Runners. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment