Sunday 17 March 2019

WFC Runners - Reading Half, parkrun, Surrey Half review and London Marathon training

News

This week we had One R, Anne and Rachel all running the Reading Half marathon.  It was a cold morning, but conditions were far better than they had been the previous couple of days.    With the challenge looming and all three ladies having set their targets as this race there was all to go for!!  One R had been hampered in the run up by a dodgy hip and Rachel and Anne were coming off the back of a 20 miler last weekend!  
As expected all three put in amazing performances with the times as follows:

Rachel 1:55:06
Anne 2:13:21
Sharon 2:15:12

Rachel's time was an all time PB of 4 and a half minutes and Anne's time was a whopping 7 minutes faster than her previous run on this course.  Fantastic running by all three.   

We also had Lynn running at the Fleet Half.  Lynn posted a cracking result of 1:55:12.

Eastleigh 10km next weekend!!


This week we had a record 27 Fit Clubbers running at 4 different parkrun venues.  There were a new club record 24 at Winchester, myself at Mountbatten School, Mike H at Eastleigh and Trish continued her tour down under at Mosman, Sydney Australia!!

Highlights were PBs for Charles (18:41) and Jenny (24:04), well done guys! In addition we had 4 runners in the top 20 at Winchester parkrun. 


Thursday 14th Training Session - Blue Ball Mixed Bag


This weeks session started at Abbey Gardens and was followed up with cake and drinks at Number 5 Bridge Street.  The lure of cake and drink enticed 26 Fit Clubbers along to the session.  This number included two new faces in the form of Simran and Nicole.  Welcome to the group!!  

After a warm up we went on a short jog ending up at the bottom of Blue Ball Hill.  Here we split the group into two teams.  The idea was to alternate hill sprint and flat sprints.  Group 1 would start off by running a one minute interval (30s out, 30s back) along Water Lane.  At the same time group 2 would be running a rep of Blue Ball hill up to the junction with jog recovery back down.  Once they had completed this, they switched so that group 1 was running Blue Ball and Group 2 were running the flat.  

This was repeated 6 times (12 reps in total).  After which we headed back to Abbey Gardens for a cool down.  We then wandered over to the pub where we were met by Allen, Philippa G and Philippa D.  There were loads of yummy cakes to buy, with the proceeds going to Rachel's London Marathon charity, Crohn's and Colitis UK.  There was a Guinness cake, cupcakes, coolies, flapjack amongst other delicious morsels.  A whopping £89 was raised for Rachel's charity and lots of fun was had by the team.     

This week’s session will be meeting at River Park Leisure Centre at 7pm.

Race Reports

Surrey Half By Alf Rodway


The drive to Woking for the Surrey half marathon was a short 45 minutes followed by a 10minute queue for the car park.  The start was at a Woking leisure centre, which was a 10minute walk too! So it was good that we had planned an hour spare.  As usual, there was a big queue to drop your bags and surprisingly, and even bigger queues for the portable loos! Luckily, for John and I (running partner and the handsome one in the photo!), his wife Sarah and their 2 kids as well our very own beautiful Phily came to cheer us on as well as carry our bags! Thank you ladies.

As we walked towards the pens, it wasn’t clear where the actual start was because there wasn’t a sign.  As we waded our way through, we stopped by the pace runner for 2 hours, and then started to walk in a snake type system to eventually that all important gentle jog and then the beeping noise of the timing chip becoming active.  I said to John, ‘”I guess this is the start then” and off we went!  The first 3 miles were flat but a challenge due to the gusty wind that we were running in and out of, dependant on the turn you did.  It was hard to find a rhythm and settle due the number of runners versus the width of the road and I found myself constantly adjusting and weaving.  Never a good look and I was wasting energy.  Just shy of 2 miles, we turned into the countryside and pretty much stayed in the countryside for 10miles. It had similar scenery to the Winchester 10K, beautiful landscapes and that authentic country air including some lovely pubs!

I didn’t take a pint at the at the first water station albeit it was outside a pub!, but I was immensely grateful for the cheers I got and it makes a difference having your name on your shirt. Before the race, we had heard it was a flat course so immediately, our minds were thinking of PB’s.  Well, at mile 3, this rumour turned to be false as we hit our first hill! It was a decent climb and I had James in my ear going, smaller strides, head up and pump the arms… yes coach!! The hill soon became a small flat and then downhill again before some more flat roads.  At mile 5, I took on-board my first water and again, a good cheering point with a band playing some tunes. It was at this point that I realised the next 3 miles are going to be long as there was now runners either side, separated by cones in the middle of the road. I was very envious of the front runners, wishing I was that quick. 

The road was like the A34, never ending and we were fortunate to have more music and good crowds, particularly at the turning point.  I also didn’t realise that it had been a steady climb, which was when I noticed my pace had dropped.  Mentally, I hit the panic button and tried to use the small downhill to get my pace back but I couldn’t therefore it was case of digging in to stable my pace.  Around mile 8, we hit a couple of short hills that I decided to power up to see if I could get my legs going again but they resisted and it was at mile 10, when my watch buzzed, I realised that I had almost lost a min on the last mile from my earlier pace. It was now a test of my mental attitude towards the race and knowing that my buddy John would have been close behind, it was time to inject some pace and see if it would hold. 

As I went through the last 5k, my mind drifted to a PB and I am kept telling myself, you can still do it.  As I drew in the miles 1 by 1 to the finish, I could feel myself getting faster and as the crowds cheered my name, the adrenalin pumped in to see me over the line.  It was hard to tell where the finish was because there was no big sign but as soon as I saw runners stopping in front, I stopped the watch and awaited the nervousness as to whether I had achieved a PB.  After the watch completed it cycle, flashing up a message stating “excellent recovery’’, I was able to see my time of 1:50:39 and the official chip time was 1:50:38.  It was a PB by almost 3 minutes and it was a bigger celebration as John achieved a PB too coming in 2 minutes behind me.

Overall as an event, I wasn’t massively impressed, particularly as there were no visible signs for the start and finish.  They could have turned the mile 3 water station into a love station being outside a pub! And I can’t believe there was no cake!  The route is surprisingly testing on your legs and mental strength in certain areas.  The wind was gusty and the best way to describe it is the final 2 miles of the Great South run for those that have ran it. Where there were crowds, they were vocal, alongside bands and music to help you along the way.  A congratulated hug was welcomed and the post-run burger (protein) and chips (carbs) went down nicely! Thank you for all the lovely messages from WFC!

London Marathon Training Update by Rachel Mills


Back in April 2018, feeling inspired by One R and her London Marathon Journey I decided I would apply for the ballot for 2019. However, I did not give it a great deal of thought beyond this, knowing how many people apply. On 8thOctober 2018, Coach James reminded us all that it was ballot results day. Messages were popping up saying people had not been successful. I just had a gut feeling that I should ring Simon who happened to be off work that day to see if the post had come. He said it had and there was what looked like a magazine for me. GULP! I asked him to open at once as I knew I couldn’t wait till I got home. I remember him asking what I was expecting it to say and replying ‘commiserations’ before he told me it said I was in!!

I then panicked! I had just started my second year of my social work degree, I was working part time and had two children and a husband. How on earth would I fit in marathon training?! Maybe I should defer the entry. Though, being me, I rationalised that trying to run a marathon in my third year of my degree would be ridiculous and so I had no choice but to accept the place. Sometimes not being able to say no and being a rather stubborn and determined soul means I do things that perhaps I shouldn’t!

So, I accepted my place and started getting advice about training. I had to be realistic about how much time I could give to running. I decided 3 days a week was probably my maximum, with the odd week where I might be able to squeeze a fourth run in. Tuesday, Thursdays my shorter run days and Sunday was going to be my long run day. I love a race and so thought it would help my training to book races at various points in my training to support training. I ran in Gosport Half in November, managing sub 2 hours. Winchester 10km in February knocking 7 minutes off my previous years’ time, a last minute 20 mile race in Kent last week in 3 hours 39 minutes (not fast but a huge achievement being the furthest I have ever run). 

Over the weeks I have had niggle’s in my hip, my knee and my calf. I am getting better at knowing when to rest and when to take things gently.  Anyway, I won’t lie, marathon training has been a complete rollercoaster. I have been incredibly lucky to have had the best possible training partner, Anne who has seen me at my lowest (sobbing in the rain at 16 miles of a training run) and on cloud nine, when we have celebrated our achievements (a sneaky trip to Kent to run a 20 mile race!) together. 

Marathon training is not just about running – obvs that is pretty important, but it tests you emotionally, physically and in ways I had never imagined. I have run in all weathers, snow, wind, rain and hail even when I didn’t want to. The time it takes from your family too. My long-suffering husband has spent a lot of time waiting for me to finish runs, mop my tears when I have decided I hate running or do the jobs that I had planned to do but then I was too tired to do it. I talk incessantly about running – every conversation can potentially become a running/marathon chat! I even dream about running. I don’t understand why people don’t always share my excitement about it! 

I have been overwhelmed by the support from Simon and the kids, Anne, Coach James and WFC runners (Special shout out to One R too for joining many a training run and listening to my moaning!). The advice I have been given and the support when it has all been too much. The lovely runners who have joined Anne and I on training runs in miserable weather and boosted us when we could run no more. It's been a challenge and with six weeks to go, I am feeling the strongest and healthiest I have in years. I have another 20 mile run on Mother’s Day at Dorney Lakes in Windsor after which the tapering will begin and the countdown to the big day really starts!

I am raising money for Crohn’s and Colitis UK and any donations no matter how small are very welcome!



New Year Running Challenge - Week 10

As we reach week 10 there are still 15 runners on maximum points.  5 of those have used their wildcards.  

There have already been some really close challenge times and the battle for the top spot is well and truly on.  With 2 weeks to go it is going to be a really close finish!  

Here is the table:



General Announcements


WFC parkrun Club

Winchester Fit Club Runners is set-up as a club with parkrun. If you go into your profile (there is a link to it on the parkrun results email and newsletter email) you can select your club. Change yours to Winchester Fit Club Runners and you will appear in the consolidated club report that we get each week.

WFC Runners WhatsApp Group

There is a WFC Runners WhatsApp chat group where we generally just wang on about running, races and cake. If you are not already part of this then please get in contact with Coach James or Coach Mike who will add you.

WFC Runners Strava Club

If you are a Strava user there is a Winchester Fit Club Runners club page. This can be accessed here: https://www.strava.com/clubs/WFC-Runners. Request to join and we will approve!

Booking onto sessions

Booking onto our training sessions enables the coaches to plan the session accordingly. You can book on in the following location: https://winchesterfitclub.simplybook.it/v2/


Race Calendar


The race calendar is now stored here:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/race-calendar-2019-and-beyond.html


Race Kit

The full range of kit available to purchase and instructions on how to order can be found in the following link:  https://wfcrunners.blogspot.com/2019/01/kit-details-and-prices.html

No comments:

Post a Comment